D-Lighting in NC

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PJohnP, Jun 25, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I've made the upgrade to NC4.3 on my desktop, having waited through the NC4.2x series. Contrary to what I'd heard, it seems to run pretty snappily, but then, I'm running a dual-Xeon with lots of RAM. Multiple photos seem to run reasonably well, too.

But...

... I'm not quite so sure about the D-Light function. It runs quickly enough (thanks be!), but it's obviously quite different than the old Digital DEE. There, I'd use settings like 16-1-64 (Shadow Ad.-Highlight Ad.-Threshold) or 16-1-90 to touch up a photo.

However, I'm not quite seeing a direct tie between D-Light and Digital DEE. Any suggestions on how these correspond and on settings ?

TIA.

John P.

2. John,
    What setup do you have. I'm getting ready to put something together sooner or later.

Thanks in advance.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jay :

It's a dual-Xeon 2.8 GHz with 2 GB of matched RAM on an Asus PC-DL mobo, two 300 GB and 250GB internal drives, an HP DVD+/-RW, Toshiba DVD-R (SCSI), a Wacom tablet, Canon CanoScan FS2710, an HP Scanjet (11"x17"), and a few external HDs. I'm still using an old ATI All-In-Wonder for the display adapter and a Samsung Syncmaster 192N, even if they're not "ideal".

Hey, at that, I'm still using my first edition Avant Stellar keyboard. I can't stand "modern" keyboards and want the old clackety-clack when I type.

There are new dual processors and mobos out that will outstrip this layout, but it's pretty steady, which is a strict requirement for me. I built the computer myself, as I have a few idiosyncracies of what I want in the machine.

Now, I just have to try and gin up a 5V circuit with a small speaker that can cancel out the noise from the two CPU fans ! I use PC Power&Cooling equipment that's pretty quiet, but the two CPU fans are annoying my spouse. Gotta pull out that old book on circuits and starting trying to remember how to do this...

John P.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;