D1 vs. D1H

I'm curious too. I hope someone knows the difference.
I have read that the menu structure is different in the "h", maybe a tad more user friendly....though I suppose that is up to interpretation.
I have also read that the buffer is greater in the "h" and the frames per second are faster. 4.5 fps./21 buffer for D1 and 5 fps/40 buffer. They both share Cam1300. They are apprently the same body that is also shared with the D1X....which I can attest to since I have both the D1H and D1x.

Lisa

I have only used the D1, but the main differences from everything that I have read are:
  • 5fps (D1H) vs. 4.5fps (D1)
  • Larger buffer
  • Faster write speeds
  • MUCH better high ISO performance
  • Actual image preview
  • GUI menu as opposed to cryptic custom setting numbers
  • Colour space improvements
I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now.

It writes very quickly. I have absolutely no complaints when using it with the D200 and D2H.

fks

hi woody-

the H was created to differentiate the D1X from the D1H. the D1H/X are more responsive in terms of picture review, and there is no wait for the buffer to clear when shooting in continuous mode. the D1H does have a slightly faster FPS rate as carl has pointed out.

the D1H is the better choice between the two, but it also costs a bit more.

ricky

The D1 is also not hoot priority. Your in a menu or reviewing a pic, and when you press the sutter release nothing happens. If you do this on the D1h it exits the menu or review and is readu to take a picture (which i prefer and is like more modern cameras).

When the D1H was released one reviewer called it "what the D1 should have been." I started with the D1 and then went to the D1H. My D1 was a bit quirky, but my D1H is probably the most consistant and reliable body I have owned. Taking a two week european vacation the end of this month and the D1H is going with me, just as it did for my Alasks trip two years ago. As strange as it sounds, my D2Hs and D2X get to stay home.

Thanks for all the info... I have a D1 and like the IQ but the interface and speed leaves a lot to be desired. Too bad I missed the one that just sold in the FS forum.

Sorry Woody, it looks like a hell of a great body alright. I am looking forward to it and hope I can put it to some good use!

The D1h is a great camera and a big improvement over the D1. The fast AF, high FPS and small files make it a joy to shot, and it is great deal a current prices. Note however eventually the batteries drove me crazy so I got a D2Hs.

I have recently become a big fan of the D1H after having owned a D1X, D2H, D50, D70, and D200, although I'm still learning its capabilities. I bought it to complement my D200 with the hopes it would help better capture my toddler running around in available light situations.

From what I've read, and as others have already noted, the D1 had some user interface issues within the menus and firmware quirks (sorry, I can't be more specific).

For my purposes, a Dad trying to capture my little girls growing up, the D1h has been a joy to use. Its defintely a pro-body, as fast as my D200 in terms of FPS, focuses faster than my D200 in normal and low-light situations, has less noise at high ISO (although not in the shadows), picture reviews are quick to display (although its 2" LCD shows its obsolescence), and it has a 40 jpeg (and I believe 27 RAW) buffer. All in all, it adds up to a nice camera for photojouralism, which is what many pros have used (or are still using) it for.

Sure, its only 2.7 MPs, but for my preferred photojournalist/candid style, and the fact that I never go larger than 8x10, it fits the bill. Plus, I don't dread the time when I have to post process those files. My D200 RAW files are painfully slow to process and convert. I believe the D1H's "fine" jpeg mode is about the same resolution (about 2000 X 1300) as the D200 set to Normal size, and "medium" quality.

At around $400-$500 used, the D1H has been a fun camera to add to my bag.

Latest threads

Top Bottom