What I have:

d100
50mm f/1.8 AI-S (coming in the mail)

What I know:

manual focus, obviously
metering won't function

What I don't know:

shutter priority or fully manual mode?

aperture is set on the lens, yes? do I still need to set aperture on the camera to match?

what else should i be asking/made aware of? anyone have experience with this setup?

Sure, there's an AF model out there, but I'm getting married in a few weeks and dropping any sort of cash on the hobby probly isn't a good idea. So I found an older one for $20 to tinker with. plus ..i'd kinda like the experience of not having to rely on the camera for every little setting.

thanks!

The D100 works in the same way with AI and AIS lenses as my D50.

Set the camera to manual (M) mode, set the shutter speed as normal (rear dial), set the apeture on the lens itself (there will be no apeture setting shown on the camera, focus and shoot.

You can make use of things like the sunny16 rule and the histograms to help with your guesswork exposures. Also the rangefinder green dot will help with focusing.

I have a 50mm F2 AI lens, it performed at very much the same level as the modern AF model (which I also used to own).

Good luck and show us some images soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
great! thanks for the insight and clarification. shots will definitely be posted :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom