d100 auto focus failed

what should I do to troubleshoot? my first inclination is that the AF motor has taken a dump. Can't get any focusing on half-shutter release press.

leading up to this I was messing around with some manual out of focus bokeh shots so I switched from "C" to "M" on the front. Switched back and kept shooting.

Today I used the camera in AF without problems and did the same thing to mess around with intentional out of focus stuff ..now when i switch it back to "S" or "C" i get zero movement on the autofocus.

what can i do to troubleshoot and narrow down/fix the problem?

cheers - michael

Firstly if you're using the 18-55 check the A-M switch is set to A
If you're using the 50/1.8 then check that the apeture ring hasn't slipped off the orange value (the largest number on the ring)

Those would be the two obvious reasons...

Keep us posted

i've tried with both lenses and double-checked my switch positions; no change.

You might try resetting the camera using the reset button. It's been awhile, but I think it's under the rubber cover on the left (?) side of the body. Also, try taking out the battery and replacing it. Good luck.

hmmm, the 18-55 has it's own focus motor, and the 50 uses the body. What would make both not work?

The actual AF unit inside the cam, IE not the motor??

checked. no change.

starting to think it's the body's focus motor? im able to twist the little focusing pin and feel resistance as if it were geared, but i just get absolutely nothing when i half-shutter press.

could be AF sensors? i notice also that the AF Area Illumination is ON, but i dont see the bracket turn red until after the shutter snaps, when it usually turns red during AF.

checked. no change.

starting to think it's the body's focus motor? im able to twist the little focusing pin and feel resistance as if it were geared, but i just get absolutely nothing when i half-shutter press.

if it were this your 18-55 would work fine... right?

Did you try a hard reset of the camera yet?

if it were this your 18-55 would work fine... right?

Did you try a hard reset of the camera yet?

one would think so. i pressed a little recessed button in the area above the dc-in connection, but all that seems to do is reset the clock. all other settings remain (and still no AF)

just scratching my head as to why it would suddenly stop :(

thanks for your help thus far, guys.

fks

if both an AF and AF-S motor don't work, it's possible the MSC switch is broken and it's stuck on M.

just to confirm, you can still take photos but only AF doesn't work?

ricky

Real Name
Chris
if both an AF and AF-S motor don't work, it's possible the MSC switch is broken and it's stuck on M. ...
That's my guess too. You could probably use this as an excuse to upgrade, or try giving a local or even diy repair a go. I would think that the bill from Nikon could exceed the value of the camera. Check with them though, maybe it's an easily replaceable part.

yes, I can take photos but it doesn't AF.

guess i'll keep an eye out for a d70s or 80...

k ..cracked open the front of the camera to gain access to the msc switch. *gasp* *no!*

it's a manual switch that hits a couple of different contact points depending on its position, which i assume tells the computer which mode to be in based on the contact combination. tweaked the contacts to ensure solid connection and movement. still no go.

i'm thinking this is going to be my new favorite manual focus camera :)

i had gotten some specs on the mirror ..took the lens off, cleared the mirror, put the lens on ..and for a few seconds i had AF ...and then it slowly faded out. sounds like a computer issue, no?

S

scooptdoo

k ..cracked open the front of the camera to gain access to the msc switch. *gasp* *no!*

it's a manual switch that hits a couple of different contact points depending on its position, which i assume tells the computer which mode to be in based on the contact combination. tweaked the contacts to ensure solid connection and movement. still no go.

they(nikon )have used that type switch for many years,even from film af cameras.may not be that expensive to fix.then again hey its a d100.you deserve an upgrade more than the technophotog thats trading off their 8 month old, at most ,d300 for the newest d700s.

fks

hi michael-

did you check for continuity or voltage?

you might be right in that it probably isn't worth it to send the camera to nikon for repair :frown:

ricky

hi michael-

did you check for continuity or voltage?

you might be right in that it probably isn't worth it to send the camera to nikon for repair :frown:

ricky

no, i did not. had my multimeter stolen a while back and never replaced it. i've decided to limp along on this till i can get my hands on a d70s or d80 and then i'll look at converting it to macro or infrared photography or something.

thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Latest threads

Top Bottom