D100 Memory Question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Hyper-Performance, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Until I can sell of a body part or something to get the set-up I lust after, I will continue to use, love and gain worldly expereince with my (so far) trusty D100.

At the time the D100 was released the memory card technology was no where near where it is today (size and speed). Does anyone know if there are limits to what can be used with this camera? I have several 1GB cards with no issues, but would like to toss in a big(er) card to allow un-interrupted usage during high volume shoots. All the info (at that time) says it will support up to the 1GB......but that was the limits to cards at that period in time.

Thanks!!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I used lexar 80x.. That was a s fast as they had then.
    Still use them in my D200

So I really am not sure if you can use the 133 or what ever.
    Call nikon they can tell you

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've used Sandisk 2 gb Ultra II cards with no issues, but that is the limit without getting creative. I think a 4gb card has to be segmented to work, but I've never done that. As for speed, the 80x cards (Ultra II) can accept data faster than the D100 can write it, so the Extreme III and Lexar 133x cards won't improve the write speed. With prices so cheap, you could buy faster cards in anticipation of an upgraded body in the future, but I think if it were me, I'd just get a few of the "slower" cards as when you upgrade, you'll be looking for larger gb cards and you can get the speed then.

4. Zensu

Zensu

May 5, 2006
    Alabama USA
    I've used...

the Lexar 133x 4G card with no problem. I've heard from other users that 4G is the most the D100 can handle. I don't think the D100 utilizes the 133x write speed for sure, I have an 80x Lexar (2G) that seems to write just as fast as the 133x.

5. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    Thanks folks! There was something I read about fat32 (what ever the heck that is - maybe its a diet option?) processing/capability. I may try to borrow a card from someone and see what happens. Nikon support is no help, they just read from the old spec sheet.

6. Dave,

I don't recommend the 4GB card. I purchased one for my D100. It worked, but it was VERY sloooooooooooow. When I insert the card it takes about 20 seconds before I can use it. After I take a shot it can take anywhere from 3-10 seconds to write it on the card. I switched to a 2GB card and life is great. I purchased a D70 as a backup camera and I just leave the 4GB card in it. So it wasn't a total loss.

By the way these are all the Lexar "WA" professional cards.

Cheers

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If I recall right, the D100 is FAT16, the larger CF cards are FAT 32. You have to somehow re-format the larger card to FAT 16. Several have done it, I haven't, I just stick with the simple approach. It's better to have a few cards anyway, never put all your eggs in one basket. When I think of the film days, changing rolls every 37 shots, smaller CF cards don't seem so bad!

8. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave

37 shots? Wow! you used a canister pack! I remeber the 12 shot B&W rolls, and how good I got at changing film in the bright sun at the most inopportune moments.......maybe the smaller cards aren't so bad after all - thanks for the trip back in time BW.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    That was with 35mm film. The 645 was about 12 shots, the 4x5 and 8x10 are still one sheet at a time.....