D100 Pop-up flash problem

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by inukshuk, May 24, 2007.

1. Just recently my pop up flash won't work and it always did before??? I did a menu reset, choose the flash icon in the WB menu and the flash won't work and it is set to auto. It did a few times , but minimal. I went to the school tonight and out of 50 shots only 5 with the flash??

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    well maybe the camera is convinced it doesnt need flash. put your hand over the lens and block all the light, see if it pops up every time you do that? then if you want the flash when it doesnt pop up, throw it in P mode (program) and manually pop it up, it'll flash everytime so long as its popped up.

3. arc1013

I should have given a bit more info at the beginning. This was set at P mode with the flash setting. The flash always comes up. It's just that it wouldn't flash. I tried at different distances from 3-30ft at bright and dark sources with no luck. Using my 18-50mm f2.8, from wide angle to zoomed in. This was in a school gym taking pictures of a puppet show. Now when I got home tonight I took several pictures one after the other with the flash and they all worked????

4. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    hmm, well then you've got me stumped. hopefully someone else might have some better info for you. good luck

5. To share with everybody what may have caused the problem. I got this idea from Nikonians. If you're wearing a peaked baseball style hat the peak of the hat depresses the pop-up flash slightly. I was wearing one. So I'll have to go and test again asap.

6. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    never would've thought of that one!... yep, you'll have to flip the hat around backwards...