D100 questions

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by two slow, Apr 20, 2007.

1. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I was checking out the specs on a D100 recently and it still looks like it could compete with the D70s, D50, and even the D40. It is obviously behind when it comes to the D200 and probably the D80 and maybe the D40x. I may be way off base here but it led me to many questions that hopefully you all will be able to answer.
    Is the D100 still a viable option for someone getting into DSLR photography?
    How does the AF compare?
    What about ISO?
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yes it is a good camera
    Not fast for sports or birds in flight, depending on the lens you use.
    3 fps and fills buffer.
    AF is fine
    Feel good in the hand , not a flimsy feeling camera.
    Takes great pics.
    I think most of my 2005 wildlife gallery is with the D100.
    You can check through it if you like. exif is there for most I think. (after I had some decent software and knew how to keep it) lolol
  3. Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It's still as good as it was when it came out! I would not recommend one to a beginner, however. One of the things that created the biggest flap is that the D100 images MUST be post processed to get a decent image out of them. The D70(s) was improved in that regard, you could get a decent shot right from the camera. The later models, D50 etc are all made more for the casual shooter. If you have a decent photographic background and have the time, knowledge and desire to do some PP, then the D100 is still an excellant choice.
  4. CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I'd say it is still viable if the price were right. The AF is the same or better than a D70/50/40. The disadvantages are slow FPS and write speed to the card. Also the flash is the earlier dTTL rather than iTTL. I personally think a D70 is better in everyway except it doesn't have mirror lockup, but there is nothing wrong with a D100.
  5. Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    A used D100 costs only moderately less than a new D40x. While the D100 is more advanced in feature set, the D40x has much newer sensor and software technology.
  6. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I was a beginner. I did not even know what an f-stop was.

I say buy the best you can afford..... phooey on this beginner camera stuff.
    One is going to learn whatever camera they get. Might even save money not up grading every 6 months
  7. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Thanks for all the comments.
    Hmmm...... I need a camera body. I was thinking about getting a used D100. If I had a job or some other way of bringing in some money I would just get a D200 and be done with this waiting game. I would like to find a good D70s but they are still going for more than I can put into one.
    I wouldn't ever want any kind of D40 or D40x just for the fact you have to use AFS lenses.
    The D50 is a fine body but it feels to small in my hands.
    I don't know.