1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D1H vs. D2H vs. D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by smodak, Jun 21, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Compare the three in PQ only. Which one has better Color/Contrast/Noise etc. ? Forget megapixel, speed, battery life. Forget JPEG performance (assume shooting RAW). Anyone did a A-B comparison?

2. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I haven't done a comparison, but I'm sure interested to know. The D1H has the CCD sensor, the LBCast for the D2H, can't recall the D200 sensor, so it'll be an interesting comparison especially if they're all three different sensors.

Lisa

3. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I would have to venture a guess that the D2Hs has the least noise though.

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    Well, I can't do anything right with the D1H or D2H raw files, so jpeg performance goes to the D1H.

I can get some samples for ya tomorrow if it's slow at work.

5. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US

Thanks...What do you mean by you cannot do anything right with the files? Did you try capture nx?

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I happen to find that the Jpegs are good enough 99% of the time. I do shoot in RAW with the D200 though.

I'm more than familiar with photo editing, so I know I don't want to do it more than I have to. The only reason I would shoot raw would be if the WB is bad. If you are incapable of getting the correct exposure, then rethink what you are doing as a photographer. This is directed at "you" btw :) 
    btw, I dislike NX greatly. CS3 has a better, more thought-out converter imo.

Anyway, why are you so worried about RAW with these cameras?

7. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Can you even do that? Its hard to compare a 2.7 or even 4 MP picture to 10 MP and ignore the number of pixels. That being said I had a D1h and now have a D2hs. I can say the D2hs images are better in every way, at least to my eyes. But the D1h pics look great and the difference is small. Or put another way the reasons I moved from the 1h to the 2hs was not the images themselves but the battery life, megapixels and speed. Don't know if that helps or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.