D1H vs. D2H

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDM3, Sep 8, 2005.

1. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I have a D1H and I wanted to know how much better the photo quality would be if I got a D2H. Does the D2H perform better in a low light situation, like in a gym shooting sports? With the D1H I shot at ISO 1600, using a Nikon 70-300 VR 2.8 lens set at 2.8 with the Flouresent WB setting and at 180th/sec, I tried 250th but the photos looked too dark on the LCD, the photos overall were ok, but not up to what I like tho.

Will I see a difference in using the D2H? I would love to get one, but I need to know if the benefits will outweigh the cost.

If anyone knows of a good D2H for sale that is reasonable price wise let me know.

Any comments or feedback is welcome.

Thanks

2. Hi RDM3

I had a D1H and a D2H. The 1H is clean at 1600 and the 2H is not unless you absolutely nail the shot. Likelihood of this in my case was ...not so good so I sold mine. As for the pic quality from ISO 200-400 vs D1H, you'd be very pleased. Best to borrow or rent one first. As for buying one at a very reasonable price, TWIG has one for sale here on a forum of the same name.

3. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    So you think I am better off sticking with the D1H? I have to send it to Nikon, I got it off ebay and I think it needs adjustment, for some reason I put it in shutter mode with shutter set at 1500, bright sunny day and A was reading 5.6 I think, but the photos looked dark on the LCD, so I just switched to M and set it at 1000 at f/8, I think it needs to be looked over and adjusted, I should hae my D1 back soon from Nikon, it was being cleaned.

4. The D1H is a fine camera and with a little post, the pics can be made to look like the saturated 2H. The only other choice in the Nikon line for high ISO sports shooting is the D2Hs. Might be something to research. That's if selling some of your gear is an option.

5. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I'd love to have a D2Hs, but at $3400 thats a little much, I did email Twig about his D2H, which is much less, so we will see.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    the d2h is not fun at high isos, you might want ot research more the differences from your d1h, I think the poster might be right that it might be worse... I am just not sure.

You need to nail your WB when using high ISO's, it really helps. Spend $75 for an expodisc, point it at the lights at night, and create a custom WB

7. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I just got the expodisc today actually, I am going to try it out, I think my D1H needs to be adjusted and needs to go to Nikon for service. Right now I am liking my D1 more than the D1H.

Twig did you get my email back this afternoon? You had asked me a few questions as you saw the PSU Athletics in it.