D1X -how large CF card will work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Laryl, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    I've never used more than 1gb cards, wondered if the D1X with upgrade can handle the 2gb cards?
    Also..since I'm wanting more cards before Sept (I prefer lexar and 32x or faster) where is the best price place to find cards? any specials or good places to watch?

2. I had no problem using a 2gb card in my D1X. A 4gb card however cannot be used at all.

3. JAM

JAM

Apr 30, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've also used a 2GB card in the D1X with no problems. One thing to consider is wether you want to put all your eggs on one basket or not. 1GB cards are quite inexpensive these days and having 3 or 4 on a shoot is not out of the question. If disaster strikes one of the cards, (and it sometimes will), at least you'll have spread the risk by storing the images over several cards before safely backing everything up.

On long shoots, I use the Epson P2000 to back up my cards on location.

4. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    thanks for the quick replies.. I have an older digital wallet but it's so very slow. I'm looking for affordable storage solutions as well. I'll be out of state for almost a month without computer, and a new grandbaby.. so I need to really be prepared!

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

2 GB cards are maximum for the D1X, because it uses FAT16 file system.

I rather use a bunch of 1 GB cards in any camera instead of any bigger. Makes the loss in terms of lost images bearable when I lose the card (inevitably, this will happen), or it crashes in the camera when the battery runs out of juice (happened twice to me with D1X).

CF cards are ridiculously small, and 1 GB very cheap at the moment, so carrying 4 - 8 - 10 GB worth of them is a breeze.