D1X or D200--Opinions?

I have a chance to buy a D1X for around $900. I currently use a D2X and want a second body. I have held and used a D200 a few times and just never have "connected" with it. However, I need some objective opinions. I know the D1X would not do CLS like the D200. There is the 5.47 vs 10 MP issue, but I think fabulous pictures can come from the D1X. Anyway, I would very much appreciate opinions and especially observations from anyone who has used both.

Thanks

D1x vs D200

I have both the D1x and a D200. The D1x is a fine camera with one exception, the battery. The battery life is quite short. You will shoot with a freshly charged battery, have a charged spare, and a 3rd battery on the charger. The only problem I see is that the D200 isn't as rugged, the D1x is built like a tank.

Guess it depends on what you will be shooting. I would CERTAINLY rule out the d200. It may be a great camera(and it is) but if you are uneasy with it no matter the specs its just not worth it. You have to be comfortable with the camera. All that being said a d2h is only a few hundred more dollars than a d1x:biggrin:

you can get a great D2h for the same as the D1x, and it's much nicer, better battery, focussing, flash system, just no comparison...

You'll find many opinions about the D1X, the most notable being the battery life. It sucks. However, the third party batteries are much improved and prices are attractive. That makes the camera much more attractive in my mind. I have two and two D200s. Though I realize that many of us have budgetary limits, I have always believed that carrying and shooting two cameras of the same model are preferred, if possible.

That said, the D200 is really very close to the D2X in terms of capabilities and is really the most logical choice.

The D1X, on the other hand, is such a nice camera. Its images are first rate, the handling is similar to your D2X and I'd bet money you'll be pleased with prints it can produce. I have my two for sale but, I must tell you that, if they don't sell, I won't be too disappointed.

The D2H, as mentioned by Ditto, is another possibility. I would not disagree with him about the "just no comparison" remark between it and the D1X but, I would say that it's because they are totally different cameras intended for totally different purposes. I use mine for tracking birds and to a more limited degree, macros. It would not my first choice for other kinds of shooting I do.

Whichever body you finally choose, be assured that it'll be a good performer as is typical of all the current Nikon line. Be well and shoot lots.

I had a D1X, loved the pictures but (like others) the batteries drove me crazy. The user interface is different than a D2, I expect the the D200 would be closer. I'd consider a D2h as well. Batteries, flash, user interface are all the same as your current camera and having the option of shooting 4 MP files is very nice. I have a D2Hs and like the images better than my D1x, but your milage my vary, of course.

Thanks for all of the thoughtful and informative responses. However, as always, I am still not sure what to do. One of the advantages of the D200 as pointed out my Mike is that its layout and use is very similar to the D2X. Another advantage is that I could use it as the controller unit with my SB-800 off camera when I do some studio work in CLS. Still I have always liked the D1X and it "feels" like a D2X and that has an appeal. Why is this so hard??

Mike, where are your D1X's listed for sale? I am not a full member here yet so I can't see the for sale forum--later this week but not now. I might be interested in talking to you about your cameras.

Thanks
Ron

Thanks for all of the thoughtful and informative responses. However, as always, I am still not sure what to do. One of the advantages of the D200 as pointed out my Mike is that its layout and use is very similar to the D2X. Another advantage is that I could use it as the controller unit with my SB-800 off camera when I do some studio work in CLS. Still I have always liked the D1X and it "feels" like a D2X and that has an appeal. Why is this so hard??

Mike, where are your D1X's listed for sale? I am not a full member here yet so I can't see the for sale forum--later this week but not now. I might be interested in talking to you about your cameras.

Thanks
Ron

Not sure why it is still such a hard decision. The D2h is almost identical to the D2x in user interface.

Wanted to send a post to thank all of you who replied with opinions and observations. I did buy a D2H and received it last week. I really do like it. So much like my D2X. Additionally the smaller file size really is a benefit since most of my prints are 13X19 or smaller. The file size of the D2H is plenty for that size print plus it sames file space and speeds everything up.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

Ron

Wanted to send a post to thank all of you who replied with opinions and observations. I did buy a D2H and received it last week. I really do like it. So much like my D2X. Additionally the smaller file size really is a benefit since most of my prints are 13X19 or smaller. The file size of the D2H is plenty for that size print plus it sames file space and speeds everything up.

Thanks again for the advice and help.

Ron

I am so glad to hear this ron!! congrats on your new body!!! its a sweet one

Latest threads

Top Bottom