D1X to shine on sign in South Carolina

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Larry Gleason, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Nine of my photos are being used on a Heritage Corridor sign (4'X6') currently being made by the State to be erected next month at North Augusta. I found out this week that this sign cost $5K and that there are 38 other signs being produced for installation around South Carolina. The folks who are making the signs indicated that the photos from the D1X are by far the best of all. Especially the colors. I have no idea what cameras were used for the other signs but I would guess that there was a mix of film, digital, and brands. For that, I give a cheer for the old, ragged, out-of-date, D1X :lol: I do plan on getting some photos of the sign after its installed. The way I see it at my age, it will be better than a headstone. At that cost, it will outlast me and in a public venue (yup, includes my name).

2. Wow Larry, that is quite an honor. It will make you smile every time you drive down the road. Congratulations.

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Thanks, Gordon! I had not really thought of the sign as an honor. South Carolina uses my photos every so often. The biggie is the few hundred thousand state park tracts for Redcliffe Plantation like you find in those "vacation" display stands. What it does do is get your name in unlikely places which supports gallery sales in the long run and special photo shoots. Same for magazines. The sign will be installed fairly close to the center of the city and I only get over that way once or twice a year.

I have never lost confidence in what the D1X is capable of producing and the comments for the signs just continues the saga. As I have previously indicated, the 1X will stay in service as I use the D2X. With that said, I'm one of the folks that is more interested in the photography than the equipment. But it is nice to have equipment that I don't have to worry/think about as long as I get the shots that I want. Another way to put it, get the shot I saw.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congrat's Larry!! Make sure that you post some pics when you get them.... :p

Regards,

Frank