D1X vs D70

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Preston, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I currently have a D70 and love it. That being said there are a few things I would be willing to switch to possibly a D1X? for (Yes save your breath I may wait for the D200 & NOT enough $$$ for D2X).I really miss having a vertical grip (Pro Body), Larger viewfinder, and a faster more precise autofocus. 8 fps would be nice I guess but not at the expense of resolution as I rarley would need it. How do the Pics from a D1X compare to the D70? I shoot lots of Macro, Landscapes, Kids, & Studio stuff. Anyone know where I can see a comparison (checked dpreview already)?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Todd Hargis on DPR shoots wedings with a D1X.. Try a search for him. He is excellent.

Again it all depends on who is holding the camera and thier vision.

Might do a search on pbase galleries for D1X also.

Cheers

3. I don't really know of any site to compare pics of both cameras.

What speaks for the D1X (I still use one) are your arguments above (vertical grip, larger VF, better AF), what might be added is more robust build, the possibility to use Ai(s) lenses without completely loosing metering, better balance with heavier lenses.
    What speaks for the D70 is iTTL, much much better battery behaviour, less weight. It is particularly the battery of the D1X that stinks. On the other hand, what I like in the D1X is that is has a certain tolerance towards slight exposure mistakes on the highlight end.
    I use my brother-in-law's D70 once and have to say I would like to have it as a backup cam. I also tried the D2H of a friend and I have to advise you to never look through the VF of a D2H(X), you don't want to do with less afterwards :wink: . It took me while to readjust to the VF of my D1X :Depressed .
    All I can offer you to have a look at my galleries for some D1X pics (there are much better ones around in the web), also Gale's advice is good.
    Cheers

4. ero2

ero2 Guest

jmcfadden on fredmiranda.com has owned a d100, d1x, d2h, d2x, and was more than happy to help me make my decision between the D1x and the D70s. He whole heartedly recommended the D1x over the D70s, and I saw a lot of phenominal images, but in the end was worried about old technology, even though I shouldn't have been.

5. I have both and I find the D1X files quality is better too.