D2 series Cable Release

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by triangular, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a cable release for a D2H, for long exposures on 'bulb', beyond the 30 sec. max shutter speed.

What is the difference between the MC-20 and MC-30? About US$50 I guess, but is the MC-30 just as good for a manual release cable with lock on it? It appears the MC-20 has LCD panel with programmable timed exposures and MC-30 just has a manual-only lock and release w/o timer and display. Is this correct?

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Use the MC-20. It can do almost everything except making coffee. I must have 5 or 6 of them by now.

3. But I can't work without coffee. You mean it won't control the timer on my coffee maker? What a rip off.

4. papa85

papa85 Guest

I use the MC-30 , It is fine for all of my usage. It has a lock on it , and it works fine.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I got the MC-20 and to be honest I don't see what's so great about it. Yeah it has some programmability for long exposures but that's not something I've actually had need to use yet. To be honest I kinda miss the cheap little IR remote I had with my D70, it was actually more convenient to use.

6. I use the MC30's I did not see the need for
    all the bell and whistles. I own a watch!

Cheers,
    Robin

7. Jeff,
    I have to agree with you. For $17 I had a great, remote for my D70 which was wireless and had decent range. Now that I have the top of the line D2X, I have to be tethered to the camera with my MC-30 unless I want to spend $$$ for the wireless transmitter. This stinks. I doubt it would have cost Nikon much to put the wireless receiver from the D70 into the D2X.

mitch

8. That's the other problem with buying anything top-of-the-line. Everything will cost more, just because it can!