D200 & 18-200vr Pics - First Try

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by txbonds, Jan 5, 2006.

1. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    Nothing great, and very quick shots just before dark. Only thing I forgot to do is up the ISO a little, so these were all shot at ISO 100. I'll be giving it a better workout over the weekend. I can't say I'm thrilled from just these, but then again these were only some quick shots with little time taken to worry about settings.

200mm
    [​IMG]

200mm
    [​IMG]

18mm
    [​IMG]

40mm
    [​IMG]

100% crop from above photo
    [​IMG]

Not exactly the sharpest shot I know, and I missed the focus a little, but I do think the color, contrast and tone look good.

This shot used fill flash as it was pretty dark. I was on ISO 100 and should have been much higher, so that also attributes to the lack of sharpness.

I will say that I found the VR on this lens to be just as quiet as that of my 70-200vr, and actually maybe quieter and more like the canon 24-105 IS.

2. d70art

d70art Guest

Well, the color saturation is great. Sharpness is really good especially in pic 1, 3 & 4. I would expect these kind of results from that lens that you are using. It looks, well, acceptable. Have you tried your 17-55mm? I would bet it would yield much more satisfying results. I know it does with my D70.

By the way, cool neighborhood. Where is this?

3. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks. Its in south Florida. I have tried the 17-55, but picked up the 18-200 to try as an all arounder and to see if there was a chance it could replace the 17-55. I've only used the 18-200vr once so far, and plan to try it out extensively over the weekend, but right now I haven't formed an opinion. Too soon to say, but if it could offer 90% of the performance of the 17-55 for the type of shooting I do, then it might be a possibility that I could replace the glass. So far, I'm not thrilled with the difference in filter size and the double barell extension (air pump).

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That neighborhood looks remarkably familiar!

Nice shots, and I think this lens is going to satisfy all but the most discriminating photogs. Yes, it's an "air pumper" but there's always some sort of tradeoff for versatility & convenience, isn't there? Here's a couple of shot I took of my own neighborhood just about a week or so ago, also with the D200/18-200VR. Look for a PM from me, ok?
    Wide:
    original.

Full Tele:
    original.

5. Brew

Brew Guest

Nice photos guys but quit showing off where you live, it's making me jealous: wink:

If I were to take a picture of my neighborhood it would be dirty snow, brown grass, sand and dirt on the roads, no leaves, even the evergreens have turned a shade of gray and NO sun. The sun hasn't shown face in 14 days:Sad:

We have to get out of here:Smart:

6. txbonds

txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Florida
    Well Bruce, you should move to South Florida. Seems like I'm one of the few true Southerners living down here, even though I'm a Northern compared to the folks born here. (I'm from Georgia about 400miles from here)

7. Povl P

Povl P Guest

Hey - Could you who have got the new 18-200 help me out???
    I considering this lens, but how close can I focus, nearest distance. I haven't been able to find anything on this.
    I discovered, that my hand are somewhat shaky with the D200, so I want to skip my 18-70, and get a 18-200 VR, possible a teleconverter and finally a 12-24 mm for the wide end.
    But I'm also considering the Tamron 18-200 which also have some macro capability, but lacks the VR

Regards

Povl Eskild

8. Nice shot - good colors!

9. zorkiglass

zorkiglass Guest

Those are some hillarious pics you have. Cat is the best. How do you do the RC car image?