D200 & 18-200vr Pics - First Try

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by txbonds, Jan 5, 2006.

1. txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Nothing great, and very quick shots just before dark. Only thing I forgot to do is up the ISO a little, so these were all shot at ISO 100. I'll be giving it a better workout over the weekend. I can't say I'm thrilled from just these, but then again these were only some quick shots with little time taken to worry about settings.

100% crop from above photo

Not exactly the sharpest shot I know, and I missed the focus a little, but I do think the color, contrast and tone look good.

This shot used fill flash as it was pretty dark. I was on ISO 100 and should have been much higher, so that also attributes to the lack of sharpness.

I will say that I found the VR on this lens to be just as quiet as that of my 70-200vr, and actually maybe quieter and more like the canon 24-105 IS.
  2. d70art

d70art Guest

Well, the color saturation is great. Sharpness is really good especially in pic 1, 3 & 4. I would expect these kind of results from that lens that you are using. It looks, well, acceptable. Have you tried your 17-55mm? I would bet it would yield much more satisfying results. I know it does with my D70.

By the way, cool neighborhood. Where is this?
  3. txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Thanks. Its in south Florida. I have tried the 17-55, but picked up the 18-200 to try as an all arounder and to see if there was a chance it could replace the 17-55. I've only used the 18-200vr once so far, and plan to try it out extensively over the weekend, but right now I haven't formed an opinion. Too soon to say, but if it could offer 90% of the performance of the 17-55 for the type of shooting I do, then it might be a possibility that I could replace the glass. So far, I'm not thrilled with the difference in filter size and the double barell extension (air pump).
  4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That neighborhood looks remarkably familiar!

Nice shots, and I think this lens is going to satisfy all but the most discriminating photogs. Yes, it's an "air pumper" but there's always some sort of tradeoff for versatility & convenience, isn't there? Here's a couple of shot I took of my own neighborhood just about a week or so ago, also with the D200/18-200VR. Look for a PM from me, ok?

Full Tele:
    View attachment 24128
  5. Brew

Brew Guest

Nice photos guys but quit showing off where you live, it's making me jealous: wink:

If I were to take a picture of my neighborhood it would be dirty snow, brown grass, sand and dirt on the roads, no leaves, even the evergreens have turned a shade of gray and NO sun. The sun hasn't shown face in 14 days:Sad:

We have to get out of here:Smart:
  6. txbonds

Dec 10, 2005
    Well Bruce, you should move to South Florida. Seems like I'm one of the few true Southerners living down here, even though I'm a Northern compared to the folks born here. (I'm from Georgia about 400miles from here)
  7. Povl P

Povl P Guest

Hey - Could you who have got the new 18-200 help me out???
    I considering this lens, but how close can I focus, nearest distance. I haven't been able to find anything on this.
    I discovered, that my hand are somewhat shaky with the D200, so I want to skip my 18-70, and get a 18-200 VR, possible a teleconverter and finally a 12-24 mm for the wide end.
    But I'm also considering the Tamron 18-200 which also have some macro capability, but lacks the VR

Povl Eskild
  8. Nice shot - good colors!
  9. zorkiglass

zorkiglass Guest

Those are some hillarious pics you have. Cat is the best. How do you do the RC car image?