D200, 2,500 shots later..... (lots Pics)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Commodorefirst, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, I have spent the better part of three days straight with the camera, and shooting under actual methods and conditions that I shoot in. It is a sweet camera, and after using the d200 It is hard to go back to the D70 due to the focus speed. It is that much better than the D70, and the 5fps in nef is the cats meow. I have been going out morning and evening, and processing during the middle of the day and evening. It is great to be on vacation right now!

Here are some non scientific observations with photos. Using the normal settings-default out of the d200 camera will not yield as nice images as the d70 with the same settings. If you plan on shooting JPG only, take your time and find a setting that you like that works for you. I have settled on WB auto, aRGB, and everything else normal or auto for all of my nef shooting and for a custom JPG print right out of the camera I have color mode III, sRGB, WB -2, saturation enhanced, hue nuetral, sharpening +1, everything else normal which does a pretty good job with a lot of color pop.

Samples follow, the first ones using my 12-24 at 12mm, ISO 100, 1/500 f 5.6, with polarizer, matrix metering, All not sharpened any further than the camera except the nef file.

1. jpg aRGB (converted for web) everything normal or auto including normal sharpening.

[​IMG]

2. jpg same way but only added in camera sharpening. Not a lot of difference but some,

[​IMG]

3. with my settings for JPG prints right out of the camera. Taken in sRGB mode.

[​IMG]

4. My nef conversion with sharpening and other work to my taste for this shot.

[​IMG]

for those of you who like to compare cameras here is some crops at the same image subject size, I switched out cameras right after each other and used same settings and ISO.

D200 first with the long tele 200-400VR with 1.7 attached shot at 650mm, f6.7 and 1/250 second, nef converted to JPG.

then a d70 JPG with my normal settings and processed with best practices for viewing. You can start to see the extra resolution in these (yes sorry, these are monopod) shots. I took 10 shots with each camera and selected the sharpest from each batch of 10 to compare, not scientific with a monopod, but my real world use. These are substantial crops and they are the upper left hand corner of the image. A good test for the lens too!

D200:
    [​IMG]

D70:
    [​IMG]

next, a handheld sneak shot on some ducks, This is only with the D200

first a full frame image, handheld at 650mm ISO 200, 1/250 second, matrix metering, then a full 100% crop. No sharpening or processing, straight from the camera, and these were taken with JPG auto/normal everything since I was trying out the JPG use of the camera during this session. A bit soft, but still useable considering the 650mm length and being hanhdheld. with the D70 I could never crop this much and still get this quality of image from a handheld shot. The 3875x2600 pixels of the D200 really helps here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In closing, yes, I still can't get as many "keeper" long tele shots with the d200 (YET!) but I am already doing better than just the first day. I am becoming more and more pleased with the images and the camera with every passing shot. Please remember this is not a scientific process, I will leave that to others, this is just my experiences with the camera for the first three days, Oh and by the way, I am getting 700-1000 shots per charge, with limited LCD use, fine for me. Meter set to turn off after 6 seconds, See Bjorn's tests for a repeatable quality and careful battery test.

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2005
  2. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    very nice!!!! I really like 3 & (of course) 4. Back in the old days of film, when I was young(er), I enjoyed shooting landscapes like those with my A1 & T90. Now I am learning all over again with the D200 & 18-200VR

3. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Looking at the city shots, sure can see the difference in resolution! Just look at the Broadway street sign..

4. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Hi wade,Thanks for posting these.I like the comparsion street shots between the D70 and the D200. Thats the kind of thing I was hopeing to see.Looks like the D200 is clearly the victor. Its puts me one photo closer to owning one myself.

5. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Glad to,

I hope folks realize these are just learning shots, with the long lens and handheld mostly and to experiment around with different settings.

6. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    that is excactly why I cropped in that corner.

Hard to believe this is over a mile away, shot on a monopod and a substantial crop.

Wade

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I was hesitant to post these variations and different camera settings, but just wanted some folks to know how much you can change the image based upon the settings.

They might be a bit overdone, but gets the point across.

Cheers,

Wade