D200, AF-On Button, Sigma Lenses

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Retief, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Late Breaking News!

Sigma Announces Repair

I can't read Japanese, I sure hope that this poster is correct. I don't see anything on the Sigma USA site yet, but I will be checking tomorrow.

-----------------------

Well, birds were not overly cooperative today, in fact it was one of the worst we have had, even though the weather was superb, I'll post a couple samples later, however......

As many of you know my prime "long" lens is the Sigma 500mm f4.5 HSM, which works superbly using the back AF-ON button on my D2H, D70 as well as on Jim Thiels D2X. So, I get my D200 all set up and off we go this morning, get to the Skagit River and What The??? No AF, nada-nowhere-nohow...... I am confused, to say the least. I put my D2H on the lens, push the back AF-On button, focuses like a charm. Change the setting on the D200, focuses like a charm with the Shutter button, nada with AF-On. Thinking contacts or something, who knows. Decide I'll do a 2-button reset on the way home, but mount the 18-70 first and guess what? AF works just fine and dandy on the back AF-On button. Get home, and lo and behold, both my Sigma lense will not respond to the AF-On button. Haven't tested all of my Nikon's yet, but the 2 I have tried, 18-70 and 70-200 both work just fine.

My theory is that the AF-On button is sending a signal that does not recognize, problem is how do I prove this to Sigma?

Anybody else with a D200 and Sigma lense? Can you try the AF-On button on the back please?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2005
  2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
  3. Thanks for the info, I figured it wouldn't just be me. This gives me more info when I call Sigma first thing on Monday, hope I don't have to wait too long :wink:

What is quite interesting to me is that it works on all the other bodies, Nikon must have tweaked some bit here. Good news is, I DON'T have a broken D200 :biggrin:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,
    I read on DPR a fellow having that prob. His camera has a slightly bent lever thingy that reads the info from the lens. They tried all kinds of tests. Seems thats what it is and his camera shop is going to swap it.

Check that little lever, to be sure it is not the least bit bent..

5. Hmmm, that would be a bent aperture lever, which generally affects all lenses, not just Sigmas, I'll have to go look that one up.

Thanks for the info.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah I know Bill,
    But for some reason his non Nikon was doing it not the Nikons.

I'll see if I can find the post.....

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  8. Hi Bill, my Sigma 24 1.8 works fine with both the AF-ON button and the half-press shutter. But its not HSM. So I am thinking that the issue may be with the Sigma HSM lenses only.

9. Could be, Janet. I have seen reports of the 30 HSM as well. It should be an interesting set of conversations Monday morning with both Nikon and Sigma.

10. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Last Sunday I played with a D200 with my Sigma 24-70 and the AF worked fine with that lens.

11. Dave, you used both the Shutter Release half-press as well as the AF-On button on the back? One cool new feature I found, buried in the menus, is that ability to set the multi-selector to initiate AF when in shooting mode as well.

I like the camera......

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Well, now that you mention it... Not really sure. Sorry

13. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I've had a chance to try this with both of my Sigma lenses -- neither the 30 f/1.4 *or* the 150 macro focus with the rear 'AF-ON' button, though both are snappy with the shutter half-press. Glad my D70 didn't teach me to use any buttons for AF other than the shutter...

I can't make sense of why the rear button doesn't work, either...

14. My theory is that Nikon want's to differentiate between the "front" buttons, AF-On, the one on the body, and the one that is on the grip. I suspect that Nikon uses a range of codes, as I noted before, and that there lenses understand this, whereas Sigma only accepts those codes it has reverse engineered. The question is what Sigma will do about this.

I also found out that if you connect a 10-pin remote, such as the MC-30, AF works just fine as well. This actually worked better for me to day than using the shutter button. I think my brain just refuses to like the "shutter button" method anymore :wink:

I'm really curious to know if any other manufacturers will have this issue. It appears, from what I have heard, to be HSM specific, and I don't believe any of the others have internal motors.

My discussions with Nikon and Sigma ought to be reall fun tomorrow.....

15. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Let us know, wouldja, please?

16. On the phone with both Sigma and Nikon

Looks like I may have been Numero Uno in contacting Sigma. I will be sending them information regarding the threads I have seen, both to Sigma USA as well as to Japan. Nikon had no information yet either, but are passing my call on to research and I hope I'll get some idea back as to the "why's" of this.

I would suggest that anyone with this situation call Sigma to let them know that it is not just me and that other Sigma lenses have the same issues. It was very easy to get through, and the folks on the phone at both Sigma and Nikon were quite nice to speak with.

I asked how long something like this "generally" takes to resolve and got an "under 6 months" response. I forgot to ask about cost, which I will do in my email to them.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank for the Info Bill,
    Keep us up-dated

18. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Bill,
    I reponded on DP Review. It's not the loss of speed that bothers me but when I take wide angle landscape shots, I prefer to set my focus on a point in the foreground, which is usually at the bottom of the picture and then compose. The AF On button gives me the opportunity to use the AF feature of the camera rather than manual focusing. It also works when using a tripod. I'll contact Nikon and Sigma too. Just to save time, can you post the tel. numbers and the email addresses.

Thanks,

Mike

19. Mike, you got it, and I agree totally with you. What I like is that you don't HAVE to use the AF-L button, which is a pain with moving bits, and now that I think of it, I wonder if that would work for you temporarily?

As to numbers and email addresses:

Sigma:
    email: info@sigmaphoto.com
    phone: (800) 896-6858

Nikon:
    phone: (800) 645-6689

I have not received any information back yet, but it has only been one day.