D200 and 80-200/2.8

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Uncle Frank, Jan 5, 2006.

1. A few folks have asked about the compatibility of the d200 and 80-200/2.8 lens. Here's a few sample pictures I took today with that combo. Unfortunately, the only models available were sitting ducks.

All shots taken handheld.

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Ain't none of those ducks sitting - all standing !!! Another example of a sad mallardy sung here at the Cafe... :eek: :tongue:

John P.

3. OK, to fulfill the literal meaning of the title, here's a sitting duck.

4. d70art

d70art Guest

Wow. I am impressed with the quality.

How's the CA at 100%? And furthermore, how much sharpening did you have to apply to get these as nice as you did (as compared to say...your 85/1.4)?

Mark

5. Frank, I see you charm your feathered friends into posing naturally just like you do to humans.

Nice pictures

6. I haven't seen any CA from this combo, Mark, but note that the light was pretty flat today. The only sharpening I used was a light touch of the unsharp mask (100, 0.4, 0) to offset the downsizing. And these pictures are from the 80-200/2.8.

7. Nice to see this combo posted, UF. I really love that lens and it's nice to see it hasn't lost its magic with the new body, either! Nice and sharp!

8. Thanks, Kevin. Out of curiosity, why do you own both the 80-200 and the 70-200VR?

9. Before I bought my camera I started collecting glass. I bought the 80-200 used from KEH.com. This Fall, I bought Gale's 70-200, primarily for location portrait shooting, feeling the VR would help. I haven't made a concerted effort to sell my 80-200 but it's actually at my neighbor's house on loan, pending his decision to buy it. In a way, I hate to give it up as it's just so sharp. But I like AF-S so it's been relegated to its little case, stored away.

10. d70art

d70art Guest

Actually, at first I thought I read that you used an 18-200. If that lens was this sharp I was going to buy one right now! However, upon review of my post I noted which lens you really used. So, OK, it's out, I'm a nerd.

Anyway, great shots. I am going to set my sights on an 80-200 now.

M

11. Nice saturated color

And tack sharp as well.

12. If the 18-200 can deliver shots like that at the long end, I'd consider buying one, too. But I don't think it's possible with such a broad range zoom, as the designers have always had to make serious image quality compromises to accomplish such ranges in the past.

The Nikon 70/80-200 f/2.8 series lenses are legendary, and have graced most professional sports/nature photographers' camera bags since first introduced in 1978. I've yet to find an owner who has been disappointed by the optical quality of any of the versions of this zoom.

13. Thanks, PD. Nothing fancy on my part. Just the default in-camera settings for sharpness, contrast, and saturation, and taken in fine jpg mode. I'm beginning to grow very fond of the d200 :wink:.

14. d70art

d70art Guest

This is the reason we are seriously considering one of these lenses for the toybox. It was the first duck (mallard?) image that you had that really got our attention (my girlfriend and I, that is). I had originally opted for a Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 and have yet to really test it's mettle. Now I wonder if I should have gotten the Nikkor instead. I just needed the greatest zoom at the best aperature I could find for the money. The Nikkors did not have the same reach/f.stop.

Well, income tax return season is nearing and I am seriously considering...who knows...