1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D200 and higher ISO's

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by natethomas, Sep 12, 2008.

1. I've recently seen a few posts where people have been using their D200 at a ISO higher than what I was comfortable using, and seeing minimal noise. I've been lusting over a D300, but I think I will hold off at least until the spring time.

This past week I thought I'd have a go at shooting at ISO 1600. As others have said, it is really all about nailing the exposure. If you get the shot correct (rather than fixing in pp) you will have less noise to deal with.

This shot was taken at a Red Sox game earlier this week. ISO 1600, shutter speed 1/1000, 300mm at 2.8. I metered off of the grass. Very minimal pp done. I used the trial version of neat image to reduce some noise. The trial version only works on images smaller than 1024x1024, so the image isn't that large. I do think I will purchase neat image, as it seems to work quite well.

Here is the original with slight cropping and minimal pp:
    2851042227_907bf279eb_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And after using neat image:
    2849146687_579aa2d7eb_o.jpg

Looking at the two images it does look like the skin tones have changed a bit and a little detail has been lost. However, I haven't really done any pp to address these issues.

I think that the D200 is quite good as long as the exposure is correct. I've underexposed quite a few shots at Fenway just because I didn't want to go over ISO 800 or 1000, and, as a result, got lots of noise.

Please post ISO 1600 and above images with the D200 to show that it ain't antiquated yet!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  2. Nice capture Nate...don't shoot me, but I like the "noisy" one better. As you said, it seems to show more detail, especially the pitcher's mound. But your shot and comment about the D200's ISO begs the question as to whether "high ISO" is many times over rated. I guess if one needs it for low light situations (as ball parks, theaters, etc), then it becomes an issue. Noise in digital, of course, is like grain in high speed film. Why is it that we accepted it in film, but ridicule it in digital?

My apologies Nate for "hijacking" your thread.

3. Here's a D200 shot at iso 1600. It's an example of (for my tastes anyway) how a little noise can be a good thing. I have shot at 800 and above pretty regularly as I like dark street scenes, so while I've considered a d300 for its superb low light performance, the cost isn't worth it for me right now. Oh well, maybe a D400...

23808JHP4275-mas_sepia_niko.jpg

4. Jim,
    That shot is really sweet! It almost looks like a sketch because of the tones and lines. Great example!

5. Nate, the high

ISO capability of the D200 is quite adequate for most applications. I also stayed with the D200 rather than upgrade at this point because,as you have demonstrated, if the initial exposure is good, the effects of noise in the image are minimized.

I have to say that I like the original better than the one with Neat Image. You may want to try reducing the strength of the NR to get a more natural look. And don't be afraid to add some of the Neat Image sharpening, I think it helps on the final image.

6. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The 10MP sensor of the D200 is quite noisy at higher ISO. But the good thing is that the noise is in a very film-like grain, and usually not so disruptive.

From a pure measurement perspective, DSLR's in the same price range from other 5-letter brands perform much better in high ISO.
    But when you compare actual pictures, the result is a lot smaller.

FWIW, I like the detail in #1 more. But the performance of neatimage is amazing. Is it standalone or only PS plugin?

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

it isn't so much the noise with the d200 high iso files as it is the loss of DR and other qualities. the file tends to go downhill fast after 100iso.

with that said, here's one @3200iso
    2362028996_6e3a0ee954_o.jpg

and @2000iso
    2369402709_63edfa8fe6_o.jpg

btw, the pro version of Neat Image rocks.
    ;-)))

8. in the original post... i, too, like the "noisier" once

and.....
    nute....
    those are amazing high-iso D200 shots

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.