D200 and Nascar (Canadian)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by lexiticus, Jul 16, 2007.

1. This is a first and first for me! First outing with my new D200 and First Car Race I've ever shot!
    DSLR's are quite common at this event so it was no problem getting mine and the 80-200 in. (I was worried for a bit!)

Let me start off by saying, I hate the fence, and Oval track fences have to be thick to prevent the mayhem from spilling into the crowds.. So That and the fact that I don't know the D200's AF system as well as I would like, made for some frustrating moments.

BUT in the end I just ended up sticking as close as I could and giving up on panning shots (They move too fast to get pans and then you get fence lines anyway...)

SO heres what I ended up with!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shameless self bump

[​IMG]

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow
    You did a great job.
    that last one of the series is super neat. (sunset photogs.)

good shootin

Ya gotta love that D200.
    Never let ya down

4. Great shots! Tell that driver in #1 to keep his eyes on the track and not you! :biggrin:

Nice to see a fellow Nikon shooter in the stands.

5. Man, these are good! Thanks for sharing them.

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice shots for the 1st time out at car races, nice color and action despite the Fence
    1 3 and 5 are my favorites
    I'm not sure I care for the the extreme angle crops in 4 and 6

Thanks for sharing

7. Thanks everyone, I find Color Mode 3 on the D200 emulates the D50's "Pop" that I'm soo used to, So thats why the colors look soo saturated.

I'm actually a big fan of #6, (extreme angle shot) Maybe its just my style :)
    I actually had a lot of fun considering I don't like Oval racing (or Nascar like Rigging with the constant yellow flags)
    Didn't hurt that the tickets were free either! There was a lot of Canon photographers at the track, But like the guy in the stands, Most of them were just taking snapshots from their seats more than anything.
    There was a girl from the paper with a heavily beat up loaner 70-200 IS, I tried to talk to her, but it was too loud! So other than a couple D80's and 18-135, I think I was the only other Nikon guy there!