d200 and The Beast

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jb007

jb007 Guest

Yes, Sir, they used a mid-range lens - for the new mid-range camera - a match surely made in heaven indeed!

2. Frank
    you got to be psyched up for this. can not wait to see the magic you can share with it once you have it.
    Dave

3. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    UF,

I know you can't wait to get your hands on the D200. Looks like it will be a worthwhile wait.

Please do post your impressions on the D200 and comparisons to the D70 when you get a chance. I might have to wait for a while before I "upgrade" to the D200. I am still building my lens arsenal:biggrin:

Regards,

4. It sure seems that way. I'm hoping to test that premise in the near future.

5. Da Beast und Da200... !!!

Frank, you remind me of the saying ...
    "The difference between men and boyz, is the cost of their toyz" :wink:

6. Dave, the magic will be in the camera and lens. I'll just try to show what an average Joe can get out of them.

Jay, you can count on me posting a lot of samples :wink:.

Panos, that fits me to a T.

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm going to keep my Lust in check, circumscribe my desires to keep them within due bounds, until I'm well enough to go out and take photos, not to mention getting the feeling back to my fingers!

But when I do, I'm going to take a serious look at the D200 too.

I certainly can't use all it's features, and I probably won't take any better photos with it...... but one has to have something to lust for and attain :biggrin:

8. Ken,
    I look forward to the day when you announce you have it.
    Dave

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Well, here we go again......why do camera manufacturers always shoot themselves in the foot with poor pre-release images?

Hasn't anyone noticed that all three of these pics were shot at ISO100? What does that say for noise with this beast at higher ISO??? And look at the fleshtone in #2, it's ORANGE on a calibrated monitor. Admittedly it looks to have been shot with low early morning or late afternoon golden light; but wouldn't you think that Nikon in all it's wisdom would want to post a better portrait shot than this as an example of what the D200 or new lens is capable of? Maybe something not quite so subjective? #3 is just plain bad, a pale overexposed shot. Let's not even discuss a night time motion blur shot as a way to evaluate a camera/lens....geeeze Nikon! Give your new baby to a photographer to test spin, not a design engineer!

I will probably move up to the D200 if future images taken by a professional shows improvement but I wouldn't buy this camera based on these images.

FWIW

10. In point of fact, the pics didn't slow down the stampede to pre-order the d200.

The pictures were taken with a pre-production d200 in Argentina a few months ago. The photographers were probably so exhausted from doing the tango that they didn't have enough energy to take the camera out of auto mode.

I think what most of us keyed in on was the resolution in #2. Pretty impressive... even d2x-like.

It doesn't speak to that critical issue, and we're all anxiously awating some high iso samples. The other unknown is the performance of the new cam1000 AF system.

11. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Hi Frank.

I'm as juiced over the possibilities of the D200 as anyone I would imagine but this release is so familiar, so predictable and so much like all other Nikon DSLR releases since the D1.

Stage 1: Leak a vapor-wear camera about 12 months out from release to build consumer interest.

Stage 2: 3 months out, get a pre-production model into a few reviewers hands to build consumer interest, suggest a product release in December, start taking pre-release orders.

Stage 3: As December draws neigh, publish a delay based on firmware problems.

Stage 4: Repeat stage 3 for a few more months, maybe show another prototype at something like PMA in February.

Stage 5: Sorry! A few more tweaks necessary. Maybe a release in April.

Stage 6: Release D200 in May. Wait for fallout on problems. Offer firmware fixes.

Stage 7: Got a good camera now. Mass shipping to market by June.

(Big Wink) I just couldn't resist but doesn't it ring true??

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

The D70 is a very good cam, especially at its price point, but let's be honest. Based on what we have seen of the still to be released D200, there is no comparison. Your photos are already outstanding. I for one can't wait to see what you (and many other good photog's) can extract from the D200 and lenses like the 28-70. Talk about anticipation. :biggrin:

13. Well, HulaMike, Nikon only had to delay the D2X recently, for tweaking purposes. This time around they seem to have been refining this camera for some time (the camera used for even the samples was being used back in the summer...). I'd say we're in for no delays this time around.
    BTW...I think the D200 being made in thailand could explain the current shortage of D70Ss

14. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Hi Harrison.

I want this cam too but I'm not holding my breath on a release date. When it's refined and ready, I'm in. As to my above posts, please read with intended humor, that's just my style.

15. I want two of 'em for my airshow photography (and a 200-400VR as well). Gonna have to wait a bit though, until SWMBO has forgotten about the lens purchases of a month or so ago...

16. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Steve, welcome to the Cafe!! Just had to respond to say that I have one of those SWMBO too. :rolleyes:

Sure holds the LLD in check, huh? :cool:

17. Sure does. Problem is that one of the pro photographers at the airshow I attended last weekend let me use his 400 f/2.8 for an hour or so. Gorgeous piece of kit, however, I prefer the versatility of zooms.

I've been using the 70-200VR with a TC17-EII, but find I need more range (not quite long enough for some of the aerobatic displays, not short enough when the planes come taxiing past after they land). I'm pretty sure that two bodies, using the 70-200VR and the 200-400VR would be an ideal set-up.

I guess lens lust never goes away completely...

18. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Thanks Frank.