1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D200 as a backup to a D7000

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by dengar, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Does anyone here use a D200 to backup their D7000? I was originally going to just use the D5100 but Im have a 80-200 and 17-50 (on the way) which of course will not AF. I havent used the D200 in years so I forgot the menu and button system to tell if they are similar. As for IQ I should be ok minus the drop off in ISO.

2. I have not used a D7000 but I am very familiar with the camera. I have used a D200 in the past. I hate its battery life but otherwise it is a very capable camera.
    Not much difference in menus between one camera and the other. I am sure you know Nikon cameras are about the same from an ergonomic standpoint and menus about the same also with some tweaks in more modern cameras, like your D7000.
    The D200 files resemble very closely those from the D2X and image quality, with good lenses, is excellent.
    You have a D5100, I cannot understand why having a sensor so similar to that of your D7000 you want to own a D200. Unfortunately, I cannot make a comparison between the AF of the D200, which is excellent and that of the D5100. That could be in my opinion the most important limiting factor.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

3. The sensor is not the problem. The problem is I cant autofocus the 80-200 and 17-50 since the body is AF-S only. I thought of selling the D5100 for a larger body but the wife uses it now so you know how that goes.... :D 

4. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I have both a D200 and D7K....ISO100 on the D200 is among the best I've seen. High ISO of the D7K is among the best. Makes a great combination. Plus I've used the D200 for 5 years and I just like it, especially for landscapes.

5. Agree!:smile:

6. GH41

GH41

Nov 18, 2008
    HHI
    Why don't you just buy another D7k used? If you need a backup you either shoot for money or travel. If it is a second camera you are after buy the 3100/5100. GH

7. I have a D200 and it leaves alot to be desired in terms of hi iso. I've never used a d7000, but I would assume that you want something that handles and takes pics similarly. With this in mind have you thought about a D90? It's about the same price as a D200.

Is this a backup body or a second body? If its a second body then what Jeff suggested makes sense. You can sell the D5100 and fund any of these options with money left over too!

8. Thanks everyone. After reading the comments, especially about the image files looking the same, I decided to use the D5100 as the backup. If the D7000 were to ever malfunction I'll just use the D5100 with prime lenses and use foot zoom.

9. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
    If you're doing a lot of of low light shooting, the D200 flat out sucks! For outside use such as landscapes or even portraits, you should be fine.

10. Agreed. I cringe if I have to go beyond ISO 640.

11. photomatt8

photomatt8

May 2, 2009
    Indiana
    my D700 is now my backup to my D7000 :)  I love the D7000.

12. Ended up with a 17-55 and not the Tamron so its really only the 80-200 with no AF-S so I should be fine. I can MF the 11-16 with no problem.

13. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    7000 has some nice features I use that are not on the D200, Auto lens distortion correction and D lighting.

D200 is a little better made, but has less menu options. ISO 400 is my limit. Buy an extra battery. I have never needed more than one though.

Maybe you would be better off with two D5100`s?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.