D200 Auto WB thoughts & some first shots

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    First of all, I'd like to address this issue some are having with their pics being too cool with Auto WB. What seemed to correct this issue was going to Hue +3. Notice on these first 2 shots, (both with Hue +3, one is warmer than the other. The first 1 is Auto WB, the other has had a preset WB using a WhiBal grey card. The Pre is a more accurate representation of the color of the car with it's bluer tones. 70-200VR+TC1.7 lens used.
    The car shots are straight from the camera.
    Auto WB:
    original.

Preset WB using the WhiBal card:
    original.

Straight from the camera using 1/4 power onboard fill flash:
    original.

These last 2 had their Curves tweaked a bit:
    original.

View attachment 21537

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2005
  2. Steve, Pre should always, in my opinion, be better than any "guess" the camera is going to make. I am trying to figure out, with mine, under what conditions the AWB works and when it doesn't. A number of my first shots were most certainly too "blue", and I'm an "Ektachrome" kind of buy, so I like them cooler anyway. It is quite fun figuring this out, and all of the suggestions are super. I have seen your "Hue" adjustment as well as the WB adjustment.

By the way, I really am concerned with you AWB. It looks like there is a drastic color difference between the first picture of you dog and the second one. I think your camera is severely broken and you should send it to me :wink: :wink:

Looks good, and thanks for the info.

3. MarkM

MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    Steve, I agree with Bill, that does appear to be a significant color/hue shift between the two dog pics - or were the studio lamps set to high and placed to close to the subject? :smile:

Since I already have a D200 & 18-200 lens to play with, he can have the camera - I should get the car - and I promise not to add any more nicks to the bumper - were you playing tag with shopping carts at the grocery store? lol!!

Happy Holidays
    Mark

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Collision with a concrete stopper

Very funny guys! :tongue:
    Re the car, I was careless one day and ran over one of those d@mn concrete parking lot stopper thingies. I usually stopp well short of those thing! I even parked all the way to the back of the lot so no bozo would door ding me. As for that "color shift" well truth be told, I had the wB set to pre but out in the sunshine. As you can see, little Pierre ws in the shade for his shot! :wink:

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Steve, now that you have a new camera, you should also switch cars. If you press hard, I'll may be willing to trade in for my VW (also German). You'll be saving a lot in speeding tickets and have more money to spend on new lenses :smile: .

Nice pictures - looks like the D200, in right hands, is doing it's job well.

Regarding AWB I found that if there is a predominent color in the picture, such as the car, it will be less accurate, sometimes even way off. For shots like the car pics I guess the best is to use the good old grey card.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    "Also German"?

Better take a closer look at that prancing horse, Heiko. :eek:
    I agree about using a grey card if you want to get it right the first time.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. The problem for me with a grey card is that often what I am shooting is 200-300 feet away, but I do need to carry, and use, my Color Meter far more often, that should help a lot, and when it doens't, WB in Capture to the resecue!!!!

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Bill are you saying that the sun's rays 300 ft away are somehow different than the rays where your shooting position is? :confused:

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    You're right Paul, going to +3 Hue isn't for everybody, but it does help those who feel that Auto WB is too cool. Thanks for the tute on the effects of the entire color wheel. I didn't know that! On to more experimentation for me! Maybe just going to Auto -2 or 3 is enough to warm it up a little.