D200 Autofocus

I've been reading a lot lately about some of the idiosyncrasies of the D300 autofocus system. For example in the D300 forum there is a post about the D300's ability to focus on birds in flight. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177146

I would appreciate learning from those who have used the D200 your experiences with that camera's autofocus. If you can, please let me know of particular strengths or weaknesses. Also, if this can be done without flaming each other, it would be great to learn about the comparative merits of the two systems.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The d200 is a great general purpose camera body. It does a pretty good job at everything, but it isn't specialized for anything. You can use it for BIF photography, but it's not in the same league as the d2h, d2hs, or d2x for that application. Jmho.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Frank: that's a great photo. Do you recall how the focus, exposure or wb were set? How much of a photo like that is post picture processing? Thanks

That picture was taken over a year ago, so all I know for sure is that it was taken with the 180/2.8 prime. Here's the exif data:

Date/Time 10-Apr-2007 12:45:09
Make Nikon
Model NIKON D200
Flash Used No
Focal Length 180 mm
Exposure Time 1/3200 sec
Aperture f/5
ISO Equivalent 200
Exposure Bias -1
White Balance Auto
Metering Mode matrix (5)
JPEG Quality Fine

If your introduction post is up to date, you currently shoot with a d40. I'm sure you'd find the d200 to be a major upgrade.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom