D200 Autofocus

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by rgordin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I've been reading a lot lately about some of the idiosyncrasies of the D300 autofocus system. For example in the D300 forum there is a post about the D300's ability to focus on birds in flight. https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177146

I would appreciate learning from those who have used the D200 your experiences with that camera's autofocus. If you can, please let me know of particular strengths or weaknesses. Also, if this can be done without flaming each other, it would be great to learn about the comparative merits of the two systems.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. The d200 is a great general purpose camera body. It does a pretty good job at everything, but it isn't specialized for anything. You can use it for BIF photography, but it's not in the same league as the d2h, d2hs, or d2x for that application. Jmho.

76983494.gif

3. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Frank: that's a great photo. Do you recall how the focus, exposure or wb were set? How much of a photo like that is post picture processing? Thanks

4. That picture was taken over a year ago, so all I know for sure is that it was taken with the 180/2.8 prime. Here's the exif data:

Date/Time 10-Apr-2007 12:45:09
    Make Nikon
    Model NIKON D200
    Flash Used No
    Focal Length 180 mm
    Exposure Time 1/3200 sec
    Aperture f/5
    ISO Equivalent 200
    Exposure Bias -1
    White Balance Auto
    Metering Mode matrix (5)
    JPEG Quality Fine

If your introduction post is up to date, you currently shoot with a d40. I'm sure you'd find the d200 to be a major upgrade.