D200 back-focusing

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Taylor, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I didn't realize it until today when I shot a convocation with my 70-200 f2.8 VR that my D200 was back focusing.

From what I understand, this is a camera issue, not a lens issue correct?
    Also, would sending this to Nikon to fix be covered under warranty?

Thanks for any input!

2. Hello Taylor,

I may have had a similar problem as yours. You may want to take a look at this thread over at the other Nikon forum.
    http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID202/24860.html#0

If this is what you are experiencing, then sending your camera in for repairs may be needed. I sent in the D200 as well as the 18-200 lens for repairs. While the camera was in the shop I had a chance to try my 70-200 on a D80 body and it seemed to focus correctly.
    Once my camera came back from repairs, I noticed that I am now able to focus on the moving players and shoot, for example, a runner from home to first ,on continuous 5fps. and get them all to be in focus. I also find my camera rarely hunts for focus as it did before.

Good luck and take care.
    Donald

3. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks Donald, that is what I'm intending to do... should I send in my 70-200 VR with the D200? I'm afraid about the shipping company losing/damaging my equipment!

4. Hello Taylor,

Before I sent the camera in I had spent several days working with the Nikon on-line service people. While apparently not a necessary step in the process, it did help to narrow down the problem. You will also get some info on how to send in your equipment.

You may want to start on this page.
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=336

As far as what to send in, I cannot directly answer that question. I do suggest if you send both in to have the camera body cap as well as both the lens caps with the camera and lens. Nikon also suggests not to send in the battery or memory cards. I sent the camera with the lens attached, when the camera and lens were returned they came in separate boxes.
    It cost me about $35.00 to send and insure the camera and lens for about $2900.00 from Sacramento to their facility near Los Angeles through UPS.

I sent the camera in on a Saturday and received it back two weeks later on a Friday. Man that was a long two weeks but the results were worth the wait.

Nikon will send you a letter through the US mail after about a week or so explaining what is happening and if there are any charges. If there are any charges they will wait for your OK before repairs. My camera was out of warranty by about two months but they took care of it for me anyway. Not sure why, but I am glad they did. Maybe it was because of the extensive repairs they said they performed (without saying what they were).

Take Care.
    Donald

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  5. If it only back focuses with the 70-200, then you should send them both in. Buy shipping insurance if you are worried about damage. As long as you package it well, damage is pretty unlikely.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. There's a Nikon headquarters about an hour away in Mississauga so maybe I'll just drive there.

I'll give them a call first and see what they have to say. I haven't tested it with the 17-55 or 105 officially, but I've always noticed the focus to be a bit off (i.e. I thought a pro lens was supposed to be tack sharp!).