D200 Black and White Mode

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by j_b_l, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I was playing around with the D200s BW mode tonight. I took some shots in RAW+JPG mode with the "Optimize Image" menu set to "B+W". This has the benefit of saving the RAW file in full color and the JPG in BW. Pretty cool feature!

So, see if you can tell the difference between the shot I converted to BW using my normal BW conversion method and the SOOC BW shot. Don't pay any attention to my son's underwear showing through...he sure doesn't :wink:

181221904-L.
    181222383-L.

Any guesses?

2. jmmtn4aj

jmmtn4aj

Apr 12, 2007
    Singapore
    Second image converted in-camera.. The ground seems to be less detailed compared to the first :)

3. I'd also say the second image was the D200, it appears lighter and I find that my D200 in B&W mode produces lighter B&Ws than if I converted it in PS.

4. jak2

jak2

Mar 14, 2007
    I'm going with the second also, if it is the first, you need to work on your PP LOL! Nice shot by the way.
    1008476839_14dfa635c7_b.
    My little boy grew up, enjoy yours... it goes fast^^^

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  5. md0234

md0234 Guest

I'd probably agree with the above comments, but I think I prefer the image below because it has a little more detail in the shadows. Although I like the ground a little better in the top image due to more detail, the subject is your son and I think I prefer the below image as it has more detail on the side of his face - again though the top image shows more detail in the hair, so I suppose its six and two three's as my mother used to say... Do tell, which is which?

6. Another vote for 1st one Raw, 2nd D200 B&W mode.

7. I'll guess #1 is the d200 b&w jpeg. From what I've read, b&w captures are higher resolution because there's no need for interpolation. I've tried in-camera b&w on several occasions, and have been impressed with the results. Here's an example... an edited shot of me and my brothers taken at my mom's recent 90th birthday party.

8. First was converted and second B&W mode

9. Thanks to everyone for your guesses!

Sorry, UF, the first was converted and the second was SOOC. I really mean SOOC, I did absolutely nothing to it, just saved it to smugmug and linked. The first one I converted using my Daniel Diaz technique, so that's why I was able to extract the detail in the ground an on the side of Nick's head..the high-pass filter really does pull out some detail.

All in all, I was *VERY* impressed with the D200's SOOC black and white mode. Here is a link to a photographer who shoots a lot in this mode:

http://bwportrait.com/

Cheers, everyone!

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    John,

I have had super results with my D200 also in this mode, worked out so well in JPG, here are two from this graduation party I shot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. No problem, John. I just felt contrary today :).

Thanks for the idea of shooting in RAW+JPG with Optimize Image set to b&w. I like the d200's native b&w renderings, but it will be nice to reserve the option of a color version.

12. jak2

jak2

Mar 14, 2007
    Some very nice work in that website! Say, the gentleman in your first B&W shot wouldn't happen to be an astronomer visiting from Mich would he? He sure looks like someone I know.

13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nope, a Band director from Perryville MO

14. That is a superb image...love it.

15. jak2

jak2

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks Commodorefirst, he has a look-alike optics expert running around the beautiful NW coast of Mich LOL.

16. jak2

jak2

Mar 14, 2007
    Thanks, hopefully you'll still be taking nice pics of your young lad when he gets in his twenties as I did here!