D200 custom settings ???

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Cope, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I have read recommended custom settings advice from several pros as well as many forum members, and as with any opinion, they vary widely. I am especially interested in comments on sharpness. One guy says set +2, another -2 and someone else says use Normal. I primarily shoot jpeg, but will occasionaly shoot raw+. Please give me your opinions on the sharpness issue. Thanks.

2. JMartin

JMartin Guest

I shoot raw and have very few options set in camera, because I don't like the camera apply things to my images. I prefer getting the best exposure I can naturally, then tweaking myself in PP.

That may change though, I have been doing more research lately and read that in-camera settings, especially sharpening is different than the final sharpening you do in photoshop.

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
  4. jaymc

jaymc Guest

In camera sharpening, IMO, does depend if shooting in RAW or jpeg. This is what makes the Shooting Menu so great.
    When set to RAW - I know I can change it back in processing to normal, so I have it set on high (+2) and can then use the LCD to critique the shot. When set to jpeg - I have it set to normal (0) for landscapes and and medium high (+1) for sports.

- Jay

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks to all. SJ, I forgot that I had downloaded that from Nikonians. I'll have to dig it out and look at it.

6. And you can also use the Menu Banks options to use here. Save you time from doing the in-camera sharpening on and off just by selecting different menus to your liking. Overall a nice options to have in the D200.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks, My KM7D had a similar set up, and I utilized it all the time. I just haven't gotten around to setting the banks up yet.

8. I have read some post where people have set up the banks but never use them. Actually, I set mine up and once you get used to getting to them, I use them quite a bit. I am like you, nice option.

George.