D200 Emergency question

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jsch33, Jun 9, 2007.

1. jsch33

jsch33

Dec 27, 2006
    Surprise, AZ
    I am taking some night drag racing pictures. All I have is the onboard flash, is there any way to brighten the flash? I don't have the manual with me so I can look it up. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    You could try setting the +/- to over expose by a stop or two and see if that works. Also using higher ISO's might give you more range.

3. The built-in flash is very low power, so you can't expect much from it. Increase your iso to the highest level you can live with, open your lens' aperture to its widest setting, and increase the exposure value of the flash. It'll be better, but it still won't be enough.

If you're going to be doing much of this kind of stuff, start saving up for an sb800!

4. If you are a ways away from the cars I would bag the flash and shoot some ambient light images at a higher ISO. If the cars are moving, pan with them and hope for the best. Your flash will be pretty much useless in this situation.

5. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    AB Fab

Reminds me of the British TV series AB Fab, "emergency liposuction" the actor would scream...

Your D200 should be good up to 640iso (mine was) try that with the on board flash, why not give the whole set up a trial run in a subdued light situation (inside, basement, garage) and see how it works. Play with the camera settings and the flash settings too?

Have fun at the races!

6. jsch33

jsch33

Dec 27, 2006
    Surprise, AZ
    Thanks for the help all, shots looked better from Saturday night, should post some by the weekend.