D200 Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Retief, Jan 4, 2006.

1. From what I have heard, the Extended Warranty, additional 2 years I think, becomes available this month. I believe the cost is under $200, from Nikon. My guess is that I will take advantage of this, if for no other reason than being able to get a free CLA for a couple of extra years. Just curious as to what other folks thnk?

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm interested in the price, as my dealer had told me last month that he thought the cost would be under $100. Like anything else, extended warranties are a gamble, when you buy them, you actually hope the camera will break so you can get your monies worth. Kinda weird.....most of us hope our gear doesn't break. Still, there is something to be said for it in the digital age. Especially with Nikon USA. They wanted over $300 to map out a few pixels in the D100, so at $200, it would have paid. If you are planning on keeping the camera, then I can see it, otherwise, it has no resale value as Nikon warranties don't transfer.

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've been mulling over this insurance thing too and haven't come to any conclusions on it. I purchased it with the D70 I bought and (thankfully) never had to use it. I know that through Berger (where I got my D200), they've got the "Mack" Extended Warrantees coming online... (here's the link). When they say 2 years extended, do they mean on top of the 1 year you've already got out of the box?... total of 3 years?... or is this more of "cover your deductable" thing?

So, at $139.99, is it worth it? I haven't had any banding (that I've noticed), the AF seems to be working great... I suppose I'll think about it some more... wait for the account to start moving back into the black (Christmas expenses, this camera and all that), then think about what I should do. I'm not rough on my gear, so it just makes me wonder if this isn't just another "prey on the paranoid" kind of thing...

I too would like to know what you out there are thinking and doing... anyone going for the extended coverage?

4. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    To be clear, I am talking about the Nikon Extended Service Contract (ESC) which adds an additional 2 years of warranty coverage to the original one. This is a Nikon USA offer, I'm not sure what other countries/distributors do (other than provide better service out of the box!) I had one of these for my F4s, and at $50 was worth it as I needed the viewfinder repaired at about 2.5 years. With so much to go wrong with a DSLR, it might make sense, but I will wait to see what the price tag is going to be. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow (they are closed for a few days for inventory.....geez, that sounds funny these days) and be asking some questions like pricing and how long do I have to sign on. If I can buy into the ESC within the first years' warranty, I might hold off for a while and see how the D200 acts.

5. Absolutely, this is NOT the equivalent of a MACK extended warranty in any way. For me I will weigh the cost of a CLA for the 2 additional years against the cost of the contract. If a CLA is, say $50 out-of-warranty, they I can get this done twice, once just before the 3 year end, which is something I may have done anyway.

I think you and I are thinking along the same lines. My guess is that if anything endemic shows up, such as the D2H meter issues, Nikon will do the right thing and repair that anyway in or out of warranty.

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If I remember the conversation I had with Nikon over the $300 pixel mapping episode for my D100, I think a cleaning is considered a B1 repair. Level B1 is about $175, if my memory is correct. It does include a check and adjust of camera specs, but for the same money, you can buy the ac power supply and alot of Eclipse. I'd be willing to bet that the D200 pixel mapping software won't leak like the D100's did. I've yet to hear anything about the D2h, x or D70 being do-it-yourself for pixel mapping. For that reason alone, a reasonable price ESC is attractive.

7. Nikon ESC for D200 online at Adorama

Adorama has a listing for the Nikon ESC for the D200 at 139.95. It does say that it is not available from the manufacturer yet, but can be ordered.

http://www.adorama.com/INKEWD200.html