d200 extended warranty

how useful is that d200 extended nikon warranty. I bought the warranty with my d200 but can't help thinking its a waste of $129, if my previous nikon cameras are anything to go by.

K

Ken-L

I hardly ever get extended warranties, but I got a 4 year transferrable warranty for my D200 - there's a lot that can happen, and for resale it's a great convincer!

M

marc

warren said:
how useful is that d200 extended nikon warranty. I bought the warranty with my d200 but can't help thinking its a waste of $129, if my previous nikon cameras are anything to go by.

it's 2 late now, it is of no use, nikon will service your camera, as long as you don't drop it from a 100 story building.

as we asked another, would you buy an extended warranty for anything else?

think about that before you answer.

I buy an extended warranty on laptops - and all printers. "CompUSA Business" (at least at my local store) allows a "trade-up" within 2 yrs at full price you paid if you bought their overpriced "gold" extended warranty. They offer 3 levels of warranty. You have to ask for this level. I traded from the Epson R-2000 to R2200 then to the R2400 and only lost the cost of the warranty each time. :cool: Then traded up from an R-300 to R-800 and did not pay more than $100 to boot.

I also buy extended warranty with drop and breakage protection on PDAs. Again, CompUSA business allowed me to trade from an older model to the HP5500, then to the HP4705. The new cost was $100 less and I received an in-store credit for $100! Each time I had to buy a new warranty to be able to trade up later. There is a one time trade-up clause in the 2-year warranty, but the warranty premium is about 25% of the cost of the item!:Teeth:

Circuit City does the same thing in select stores. I suggest you learn the store policy for upgrades before you drop $$$ for a warranty! :eek:

I never lie about my intentions. When a new printer or PDA is released, I box up my old one with receipt (usually 1 1/2 yr old) and warranty and tell them I want my 1 time trade-up. :tongue: For anyone not familiar with CompUSA Business, it is a store within a store in CompUSA. They hire commissioned people who bust their humps to make you happy, call you by name, call you at home to tip you off about in-store specials. Please note the trade-up deal is NOT available in the general section of the CompUSA stores. I buy the Business staff donuts every other month, or so. Prices are flexible in Business sales, too. 5% off everything, more on high profit items. 50% off all cables. There is no minimum annual purchase and you do not have to own a business. Too bad they have virtually no D-SLRs; only computers, printers, and PDAs.

I probably should buy extended warranties, but I have too much stuff to keep up with. I probably would forget I had a warranty. Another option is to set up your own insurance fund, and every time you are offered an extended warranty on something, pay that money to your fund.

R

RParenteau

All extended warranties are generally a waste.
It is another way to bring more money to the bottom line without selling additional product. Most electronic devices if they have a factory fault will fail in the first year of use.
Note that I said most not all.

gadgetguy11 said:
...I buy the Business staff donuts every other month, or so. ....

John, just before I got to this section of your post, I was thinking that (with all the things you're into) if I worked at CompUSA or Best Buy, I would send YOU birthday and Christmas cards every year and call you up once a month to see if you needed anything. You have got to have the most appropriate screen name ever (and I'm using the one my Mom and Dad gave me!). :smile:

Thanks again for your help last week when I asked a similar question. On second thought, your screen name could be Helpful Friendly Gadgetguy, 'cause you really are:biggrin:

Dave Dickerson said:
John, just before I got to this section of your post, I was thinking that (with all the things you're into) if I worked at CompUSA or Best Buy, I would send YOU birthday and Christmas cards every year and call you up once a month to see if you needed anything. You have got to have the most appropriate screen name ever (and I'm using the one my Mom and Dad gave me!). :smile:

Thanks again for your help last week when I asked a similar question. On second thought, your screen name could be Helpful Friendly Gadgetguy, 'cause you really are:biggrin:

Thanks, Dave! I sincerely appreciate your kind words!!

You are very insightful: The past 2) years, the commissioned staff at CompUSA Business DID send me a birthday card!! (No camera shop did, however!) My wife said I obviously spend way too much money with them since I receive a birthday card...

(My thought of her response: does this mean I can spend MORE $ with camera shops...?)

LOL!! :cool:

Latest threads

Top Bottom