D200 file naming

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by hahnphoto, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    I bet the answer to this is going to be one of those "duh" answers, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Using my D200, every time I reformat it starts my file naming back at 001. This is a bit problematic because when I go to put the photos in the desired folder on my computer hard drive, there are already duplicate images with the same name. It used to be that the file naming was sequential no matter if I reformatted or not (the image number/name would just get higher). This way I would never have a duplicate image name (unless it was taken with a different camera).

When I go into the menu on my D200, I see an option for "file naming" but it only appears to let me change the beginning of the file name (DSC letters, not the number). There is another option called "folder" that is set at 105, but I don't even know if that is related.

It will number as many images as my card will fit (762 on my biggest card). But, when a new card goes in, it starts back at 001.

Any suggestions?

2. In the "Custom setting menu", Menu D ("shooting/display") option 6 ("d6") "File No.Sequence" should be ON to retain the last frame number after changing/formatting cards.

3. I don't have a D200, but I think it's similar. Somewhere in the menu, there is an option for 'frame no.'. Select 'CONT' or 'ON' and it will not reset itself to 0001 every time you reformat or put in a new card.

4. francishmt

francishmt

Jun 29, 2006
    Hah! I never knew this either! Good one.

5. Sure beats me why Nikon use off as the default. :mad:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Some folks name the file and wish it to start with 1...
    Just personal prefereces they give us

7. Hi there.

I don't care at all for any default setting. First step - after unpacking and charging - is checking all menu items and setting the values I prefer. It's the same with every new camera, flash, PC/Mac or whatever ...

By the way, I always rename all my pictures after the inital selection on the PC/Mac anyway, so duplicate filenames will not appear. Using two camera bodies at the same event teaches you to rename the files afterwards and sort them by timestamp.

Regards,

Mattes

8. hahnphoto

hahnphoto

May 21, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks for the advice! An easy fix, but not something I would have figured out on my own.