D200 First Roadtrip

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Baywing, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    For anyone interested, these are my initial impressions after spending 2 hours straight with the D200. I headed to a butterfly garden (indoors) and spent about 2 hours. Since I will be shooting for a high frame rate and max buffer size, I shot large, fine jpegs. I did select the jpeg compression for max image quality over smaller files. The 1 gb cf card shows 112 shots in this mode, empty. I have the 70-200 VR with the SB800 and a medium Kenko ext tube. This is the way I shot the D100 (well, I had a SB80DX for the D100) so I wanted to be fair. I bumped up to ISO 200, set tone to low, sharpening to low, color mode 3, all else to normal. Single shot af and a fully charged battery.
    My impressions: You dirty rat. Cagney. Sorry, I guess you want my opinions of the camera. I don't think the D200 feels as good in my hand as the D100. It seems a little smaller in the grip and my fingers are longish. The F4 and 990 are the best to hold. After a little use, it's not bad, just will take some getting used to. This place doesn't allow tripods or monopods, so it's serious VR time. Flash is mostly necessary as it's usually darkish. First thing I noticed was that I actually saw the end of the flash thru the viewfinder! Yep!, the mirror comes back so quick, it catches the tail end of the flash. I don't know how it works, but the flash does hit the subject, so there's nothing wrong. I do like the mirror return very much, blackout is about like the blink of the eye. Writing to the card is not a problem, fast, pleny of buffer, I like this. AF is very fast and accurate, much better than the D100 and has a greater accuracy in dimmer light. LCD is great, I can actually judge sharpness to a great degree, A+ here.
    After getting home and reviewing the shots, I have to say that I have a slightly higher kepper rate than usual with the D100. Thanks to the af for that. The Auto WB is much better and more consistant than the D100, but I will likely go back to my Sunny -1 setting, or maybe I'll do some more trials. In any event, improvement here. Images look good, exposure seems good, very much like the D100 which I never had much issue with. After some post process, I think the images are very good, the extra MP shows in the tighter crops.
    I think this body will take a little finess to get it to sing, but there are major improvements over the D100. I like the viewfinder, too, seems bigger. The battery life appears to be the big problem with this camera. Maybe it's due to the battery gauge and being able to tell, but it seems to chew through a battery pretty quick. I took 350 shots and have 45% left. All shots had VR, so it's not too bad, I guess, but there will be at least 1 extra battery in my future. I didn't chimp much, just a little in the beginning to check exposure. I ended up with some - exp comp, but I always do, to keep the highlights from blowing out, same as the D100. I'll have to wait until spring to see how it acts out on the water, looking forward to giving it a run. BTW, I don't see any signs of the higher MP issues being discussed.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Bay,
    Looking foward to your images for sure.

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks....waiting for my D200. The VR definitely uses battery extra power.

4. Your comment on AWB is interesting, as after 2 days I am finding it to be consistently quite a bit, 700 or so degrees Kelvin, on the cool side. As you note, more testing is in order.

Doesn't it just feel good to say "bumped up to 200"???? Sure does for me. I really like the feel, and that is coming from both a D2h as well as D70. Fits my hand really well. I also like how quiet it is, certainly a keeper.

I noticed a big difference in my keeper rate from yesterday to today as well, fun getting used to the "new bits" isn't it?

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Bill, I set my Auto WB to -1, because I usually like things a bit warmer, but I found that setting a little too warm and my breif testing while hooked to the power supply while the battery was charging seemed to show that the Auto WB (straight, no comp) was the most accurate. Seemed better than 5900K or even 5600K which would be my next choices, based on my film preferences. I try to find a set up that comes closest to E100SW, which is/was my favorite film......curses to Kodak for killing it!