D200 focus problems

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by tomtodeath, Apr 1, 2007.

1. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    My D200, only a few months, old I recently noticed was front focusing. at first i thought it was just my 50mm 1.4, but it happens with all lenses. Is this a common problem? Its under warranty, and I plan on sending it out as soon as I figure out where I need to send it to. hopefully turn around time is quick with nikon..

It makes me wonder if my camera has been doing this since I got it, being my first digital camera and first autofocus camera, I didnt test it much.

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Not sure what you mean by front focusing, But there is a closest subject focusing setting. Are you aware of the focus settings.

3. I have been having similar issues with my D80. It might be me and my lack of knowledge on AF in general. The issue is, when making photos of birds, the camera will focus just in front of the bird. The result is a limb, leaf, or grass in front of the bird is in focus sharply while the bird is just behind the focus line leaving it soft.

I had a thread here and if you scroll down to my second set of photos, you will see some examples: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=109257

Today I shot 2gb worth of RAW NEF + JPEG photos of a female redwing and only one single photo came in perfect focus. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    John I reviewed some of that other thread. It seems you're still having a tough time. what focus mode are you using?

5. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Not using closest subject, but single area af. I took many test shots at different angles and distances with the camera on a tripod. I was focusing on a newspaper headline on a table, and every time the point of focus in the actual photo would be well into the paragraph underneath it leaving the headline out of focus.
    Does anyone have an idea of how long the turnaround time might be?

6. I tried all three: AF-S, AF-C, AF-A.

AF area mode: Center
    Center AF area mode: normal zone
    AF assist: on

I've shot those settings in manual and even auto sports mode.

It always "almost" gets in focus and the birds have come out soft/not in focus as you seen in almost every shot.

Now if I shoot buildings, stationary subjects like a car, it will focus well. :confused:

7. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Tom I assume your focus sensor is set in center of veiw finder. Next thing I would try is Moveing the sensor to the top posision and still focus off the middle, See if this moves the target closer to were it should be if so it give you something to tell nikon

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The focus sensors are not exactly within the brackets as shown on the view finder. When I had my D200, I also found that I wasn't looking thru the viewfinder right, I kept holding the camera high. My framing and AF locations were off accordingly. You can test to see where the af sensor actually is by finding a single edge of contrast. First, find one vertical, then, with camera on a tripod and in af-c, slowly move the camera side to side. It should be clear where the sensor kicks in. Do the same with a horizontal edge, moving the camera up and down.
    Ideally, your subject should be at least twice the size of the AF sensor, the sensors usually are wider than the brackets would indicate.
    If you feel better about sending it in, by all means do, I had my D200 back from it's check-up in just under 2 weeks (last spring).

9. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    If you shoot RAW and use Capture NX, there is an option to display the focus area used by the camera on the image. If you do not have NX and want to send me ZIP of your RAW image, I will be happy to do a screen capture to show you.

photo@tomspro.com

10. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    This is a good idea witch reminds me that the D200 has a feture built in that does the same thing when going throuhg histogham,highlights, exif it has a display that shows focus sensor used.

11. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    That is another D200 feature that I missed. Thanks for the tip.

In that spirit, you can set the center of multi-selector button to show a magnified image review. Just one button press instead of 3-4. It's on the menu somewhere to set. Not sure what the default is.

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    WOW! I did not know the D200 had this feature. Guess the D2X does, too. Thanks for the tip. It is very helpful!

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Another very good idea. Thanks!

14. marksayer

marksayer Guest

There is an option in the custom settings for AF-C to choose between FPS shooting or only shooting when the camera is actually in focus. Have you tried altering this?

I only found it after binning about 200 bird shots - admitted most of those were shot whilst in flight using AF-S (it was an early morning!!!)

Let us know how you get on

Mark