D200 Forget the IR Photos

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Baywing, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I just tried my H&H 89b IR filter on the D200. It isn't going to work. There was a faint image there, but not even enough to coax out with alot of +exp comp. What was there looked pretty bad after the levels adj, so I'm going to stick with the D100 for IR.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I'm really not surprised. Nikon press material indicated that IR response should be "improved" but this is in the direction called for by the designers - less, not better, IR response.

Oh well, I'll look into this myself, if only for a corroboration.

3. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I had not expected the D200 to be an IR capable DSLR. Nikon has trended towards stronger filters since the D1.

My D2X is pretty useless for IR as Bjørn originally reported. I'm seriously considering having a used D70/D70s converted into a dedicated IR camera. Does anyone have instructions on how to do the IR conversion for the do-it-yourselfer?

4. Check out http://www.lifepixel.com. They have tutorial for doing-it-yourself DIY or they will do it for $250 on a D70/s. They sell the filter for $95. I had a D70 coverted by lifepixel, works great.

5. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thanks Muril!

6. RForshey

RForshey Guest

You might also consider a D1X, as they work perfect out of the box for IR.

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Have to disagree with that. Although D1X has some IR sensitivity, it is far below what you need for a useful IR camera. Besides, since D1X isn't very happy with long exposures, you are confined to bright light shooting IR with it. Plus, even with the 89B (R72) class of filters you get annoying levels of colour noise.

I've done my fair share of IR work with D1X, and concluded it wasn't a good option unless it was modified. Might well do that since I no longer use it for regular photography.

8. Would the D1x be a good camera to convert?
    my D1x is not selling... and not going to lower my price any more

http://www.lifepixel.com/

$95 you do it your self or $250 have them do it
    I rather get D70 and have it done

9. For the 15-20 shot per event... I'm going to look for a D70s
    and keep trying to sell the D1x

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

D200: The definite UV/IR answer

Having conducted my UV and IR test series with the D200, I'm finally in a position to quantify its UV and IR response.

With an unmodified D70 as a reference, D200 has 3.5 stops lower sensitivity for UV centered at 360 nm. Its IR response is down 4.0 stops for a 900 nm IR source, again with the D70 as reference.

If D2X is substituted as the reference, D200 has slightly lower UV response (-0.5 stop), but its sensitivity might extend a bit lower into the UV band, D2X isn't really happy with UV much below 370 nm.

As to IR re D2X, the D200 maintains about the same low IR response, but the roll-off towards the longer IR might be less pronounced so I could, with some difficulty, acquire test images using a Wratten 87 filter (this is too dark for D2X). Still a very far cry from being a suitable camera for IR photography, however.

These observations confirm Nikon's advertised claim for a curtailed response beyond the visible spectral band.

What remains to me now is removing the internal filter pack of the D200, and repeat my testing :biggrin:

11. Bjørn -- I'd be interested to have your opinion (when you've concluded testing) as to which of the D50/D70/D70s/D100/D200 would be "best" for converting to permanent IR. I have a D100 that's not getting much use, but I also have a chance to pick up a D70 really cheaply from a friend. Thanks --- Anne Di.

12. I just sent a Email to lifepixel to post a reply

maybe they will expose some thoughts and misconception here

13. LifePixel

LifePixel Guest

Thank you Bill for your invitation, I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

It is correct that Nikon's trend is to use stronger UV/IR blocking filters in their newer models but this is not to limit your ability to shoot those wavelengths but to provide higher quality visible light images without any or most of the other wavelengths (UV/IR) contaminating the image. Of course this doesn't help those interested specifically in UV or IR photography.

Both Nikon and Canon DSLR imaging sensors are quite sensitive to IR and are actually are pretty close in sensitivity (about 1-2 stops difference at most) and spectrum response to around 1,200nm. But with the hot mirror filters in place the sensitivity drops tremendously and for this reason hardcore IR photographers prefer to have their cameras converted to dedicated infrared only cameras.

What we do is remove the internal hot mirror filter, which is responsible for blocking most IR and replace it with a custom manufactured infrared filter. This filter blocks UV and visible light and only passes infrared light at around 720nm and up, and is most comparable is response to the commercially available Hoya R72 or Kodak 89b filters. We also calibrate the auto focus to accurately focus infrared light from f/2.8 and above.

After this conversion the camera will only record infrared light and will be as sensitive or almost as sensitive to infrared light is it was to visible light. This means that no tripods are necessary and as an example with the D70 on a sunny day at f/11 at ISO 200 you can expect the shutter speed to be around 1/100-1/200 of a second.

Since the metering system still only "sees" visible light and the amount of infrared varies considerably from scene to scene you would need to use some exposure compensation to adjust for this difference.

The other great benefit of a dedicated infrared camera is because the infrared filter is inside the camera you no longer need to use any filters in front of the lens, making it much easier to change lenses, compose and focus since there aren't any opaque black filters obscuring your view through the viewfinder.

Hope this helps in answering some of your questions.

Happy New Year!

Vitaly Druchinin
    www.lifepixel.com

14. great info thanks for posting

you are going to do a D200 conversion also... how long until people can have it done from your place?

15. LifePixel

LifePixel Guest

Bill,

We have been offering Nikon D200 IR conversion since it was introduced. Our turnaround time is about 5 business days or less.

Sincerely,

Vitaly Druchinin
    www.lifepixel.com

16. LifePixel

LifePixel Guest

Yes, This is in the DIY section meaning that the tutorial is coming soon. If you go to the order now section, the D200 is listed as an available model for conversion.

Sincerely,

Vitaly Druchinin
    www.lifepixel.com