D200 - Full Auto !

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by PJohnP, Dec 20, 2005.

1. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Like so many others, my D200 arrived yesterday, then to have the battery charged. However, I was working until past sunset, and arrived home to little opportunity for outdoor activities. Worse yet, I'd not programmed the D200 for any features at all, excepting the clock and a comment. What to do ?

Well, why not try shooting with all camera defaults and in Program mode ? After all, Nikon's invested a lot of effort in setting all the defaults, "auto" settings, etc. for this camera. Why not see what it could do ? Why not, indeed.

I pointed the camera across the corner of my property, generally angling towards deeply shadowed hills and houses with their lights, and mountains beyond. There was a faint cloud structure visible over the mountains with some little glow from the now dully reddened western horizon as the sun was fully set. The arroyos and hills were almost black to the eye.

I quickly cranked through ISO settings, not in "auto" mode on the camera, and got shots at various ISO levels. I won't try and run through the full litany of settings, but show just a few. These are, respectively, ISO400, 1000, 1600, and the initially rather cryptic setting of "1 step over 1600". The results were actually rather startling given that my eyes didn't pick up what the camera did...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    D200, 28-70mm AFS, processed in NC4.4, post-proc in PS-CS for copyright, resize, and sharpened a bit for the internet.

Bad light at close to night, handheld shooting, high ISO, almost everything "as is" from Nikon without the least thinking for the shooting. "Brain-dead photography," some might claim. It's not a systematic set of controlled tests on a tripod of a set scene with static light, it's not set up for specific areas of light and dark, and I'm not "pixel-peeping" with three hundred and twelve crops at a zillion percent. The highest ISO setting has obvious digital noise, and it shouldn't matter that it was dark at the time and I didn't run NR reduction or digitally squeeze it like a tube of toothpaste smashed under a bootsole.

But what the hey, if I can apply just a touch of thought to its use, I think this is going to be a fun camera for me !

Always shoot, especially with a new camera.

John P.

P.S. Larger versions of shots 1 and 3 down further in the thread.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You make it very tempting John. :rolleyes:

3. A very useful - and reassuring - post.

My D200 arrived today and I intend to shoot in "full auto" tomorrow, then look at the pics and then investigate which settings will improve them.

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

You cannot resist... you feel your hands moving to your credit card... you cannot resist... the dealer has several handy to sell you... you cannot resist...

:biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

John P.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Clive :

And check out the shutter speeds for those shots. For handheld, they're weren't too shaky, eh ? :wink:

John P.

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    For those people who want to look at larger shots, here are the ISO400 and ISO1600 shots in a larger format, not reduced by my host in any way (and the previous ones were reduced by me for the web, not by the host).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any lack of sharpness is purely the poor technique of the photographer (me) for 1/3 and 1/10 second exposures. The colours may not be quite as desired, but it was Auto WB in the dark ! I'm still amazed at what the camera extracted from the available light in this moment.

John P.

8. QUIT IT!!!!

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

The computer is close by, the keyboard is warm and ready for your fingertips... the browser is started... you cannot resist... :eek: :Angry: :biggrin:

John P.

10. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I think we need a new "mesmerized" smiley on this forum...

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Nice comparison. You can't tempt me. I have no intention of buying a D200 until I can find one.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Subliminal Posting for D200 Bodies...

Peter :

Ah, yes. Well, as you drift slowly in the stupor of purchasing one D200 after another (you cannot resist), you'll see little faces peering at you from the screen (you cannot resist) telling you that you need another camera body (you cannot resist):Shocked:

You have no sense of will left, as you enter, The Nikon-Zone...:Dizzy: :Confused: :Mysteriou :Crunk: :Wink: (you cannot resist)

John "I Can Resist Anything But Temptation" P.

13. LOL @ Ken!
    I agree about the mesmerized thingy.
    I just bought a 1000.00 tripod and 300.00 worth of a belt system from think tank, my credit card is too hot to touch.
    dave

14. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ken :

No jokes in this post...

Timing is everything, unfortunately, amigo. The dealer who sold me this one just sold his last one ten minutes ago (I telephoned him when I saw your post).

However, he's promised to call me when he gets more, so if you're interested, I'll keep you in the loop.

John P.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    NICeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Prettttyyyyyy shots.

I am amazedddddddddddddddddddd.....

I think I will also play with auto at first and process and do little changes at the time and write them dow. Great idea.

Now a bird better noooottttt fly by.

Thank you

tired of pixel peepers myself.

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks John, that would be nice. :Depressed

17. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ken :

PM sent with info for you on this.

John P.

18. Stop that!!!:tongue: My bonus doesn't arrive until March!! My D2H is calling to me...I am ignoring it!! :biggrin:

19. Yikes! Glad I haven't stopped by Ritz or Penn Camera yet...gotta hide that credit card!! :rolleyes: