D200 & GPS Tagging

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by super_rep, May 16, 2007.

1. Here’s my GPS tagging setup.

GPS1.
    View attachment 95847
    View attachment 95848
    View attachment 95849

I purchased the following items (see links at the end of this writeup).

Garmin Foretrix 201 (Note a Fortrix 101 will also work).
    GXGND2 Nikon D200 cable
    GXSDC PcM Cable (short) for Garmin Fortrex
    Shutter Release for GND1/2
    WICM21 Hot-Shoe Shotgun Microphone Clip CM-21 REG

I first modified the microphone clip by grinding the sides of the micophone holder down and then using some epoxy putty, gluing it to the bottom of the charging clip for the Garmin Fortrex 201. You must make sure that the input jack for the GXSDC PcM Cable is not obstructed. I did have to purchase a second charging clip from Garmin because the epoxy blocked the charger connection. ( I guess I should paint the epoxy putty black to make it look better)

This set up works perfectly and writes the GPS co-ordinates to each photo as you take it. It also has the advantage of recording your travels in a GPS trail, which can also be downloaded to your computer if you purchase the Garman MapSource software. I got the remote shutter release button and have found this is handy for taking photos with my tripod. It eliminates any movement that a shutter button press might cause.

The whole setup cost less than $250 US.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/
    http://www.pc-mobile.net/
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=OrderDetail.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

2. Wow...cool setup. I personally don't have a use for GPS info in my pics, but I can understand the potential uses.

On another note...what is up with all the noise in those pics :O I see you used a D2h at ISO 800. I use ISO 800 on my D2h sometimes and the noise isn't as bad as that (in RAW). It also looks like the sensor has a bit of dust on it. Sorry to go off topic....but I was just curious.

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I like the set-up. Very creative. I use GPS on all my outdoor images. Thanks for sharing.

4. The table actually has specs in the plastic. The noise is getting interrupted about 5 times as I was trying to get the post done and my first use of CS3 after about a year away from PS7.

super_rep

5. Guess I'm a little dense here, but what is the shutter release needed for?

6. Since the GPS is connected to the ten pin on the camera if one wants to use a remote release it has to connect through the GPS I believe.

7. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Correct Larry.

Just like my di-GPS that came with a modified shutter release cable. I never thought I would use it and behold, within the first week I had a need.

8. Ahhh ok. Specs in the plastic make sense. Sorry about the noise comment, I was just givin' ya a hard time.

9. I have uploaded a few images that were tagged with the di-GPS to http://www.panoramio.com/user/480081 . Not sure what the heck I am gonna do with this. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks to Scott for tipping me to the site.

It is kind neat/cool/fun/kewl/unique/different/unusual.

10. The shutter release cable was just an added bonus I could add, so I did. The cable came with the jack for it, so why not have it? It even has the 1/2 button press/focus capability. I now use it 100% of the time when I use a tripod.

Chet

11. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

since text is available for d200 photos I just carry a gps and if I need to mak a spot I just add text to the photo or mark the spot on my gps. No need to have all that cable mess. Also most of the time in mountains, thick brush, the gps doesnt even work.

12. This one worked for this shot in the brush.

[​IMG]

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    IF this is the Ozarks, then you have a beautiful place to live. Wow. Did you hear that Panaramio is being sold to Google? Interesting changes ahead.

14. Thanks Scott, this shot is of the natural bridge at Ha Ha Tonka State Park near Camdenton, MO. I was a bit concerned that the GPS would not read the sats down in this draw pretty well covered by trees. It did the job though very well.

Yes, I heard. I have posted this and a few other pics on Panoramio. No idea if they will be selected or even when they will be uploaded to Google. It will be interesting to see what google does with it.