D200, High ISO, 500mm Handheld

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Retief, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Given our weather the last couple of weeks, it is either High-ISO or nothing. Here is a shot which was taken handheld with my D200, Sigma 500mm f4.5 and the on-board flash. This is an ISO 1600 image from my backyard, about 30-40% of the total image. The first image has Noise Ninja applied, the second is with no additional NR other than what the camera applied. One of the main things I was looking for was ISO-1600 performance, so far I am not unhappy.

Noise Ninja:
    [​IMG]

No added NR:
    [​IMG]

A few more High-ISO shots can be found in the Bird gallery.

2. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    bill, are you getting stronger...why handheld?

3. Hey, Phat, good to see you.

Nope, not stronger, just didn't have time to grab and setup the tripod. When these birds come into our yard they are only their for 30-40 seconds or so. All I had time to do was to grab the camera, hold my breath, steady myself as much as possible and pray. And it was a chance to try the on-board flash on my backyard birds as well.

I am pretty happy with the result all around, and really happy at ISO 1600.

You staying warm?????

4. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Questions about Noise Ninja

Hi Bill...

I've been using Noise Ninja for the last few months and I was wondering if you would share your working technique. Are you using the defaults? Have you created new D200 profiles?... that kind of thing...

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bill,
    Actually on this small image posted here the second looks better to me :>)))

Boy I can see the tone of the light, not fun.

Good job.

Now you know why I moved back to FL from WA. If I saw anymore grey I was going to scream.

6. Peter, haven't taken the time to make any profiles, I'll wait for the NN folks, they are better than I am for sure :wink: . This is just the Default with Strength pushed to 15.

7. Gale, 26 years in SoCal, and I DON'T like grey :wink: , but then in the summer, when it is still bright and light at 9:30PM, hard to NOT love that.

I go back and forth between the two myself, but I kind of liked a bit of film grain. What do you find that you like better about the 2nd one?

Thanks,