D200 High-ISO - Jpeg vs RAW

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Sandro Bravo, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    From time to time, when the weather is too bad to go out and shoot, I do some tests to entertain myself…one of Nikon’s shooters favorites seems to be High-ISO testing, so here you go….again…ehehehe…..:biggrin:

I’ve done the RAW test a couple of weeks ago and posted the results here, that was also a good opportunity to get acquainted with Nikon NX and a while back I did a similar test but on JPEG, with NR ON and OFF.

The Jpeg test was done a while back and only at ISO 1600 / 3200 since those will be the most used options when the need comes into play. Anyway, I’ll probably repeat it and shoot from 400 to 3200, NR ON and OFF….i usually skip those intermediate ISO settings ( 640,1000, 1250, 2000, 2500) since no one seems used them that much, at least, I don’t.

RAW Test ( Nikon NX for processing)
    http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/d200__high_iso_test

JPEG Test ( out-of camera)
    http://www.pbase.com/slbravo/d200__jpeg_high_iso_test_

Even though the processed RAW files looked great, i forgot that a High-ISO Jpeg can look rather good....when i look at some Canon files i can't stop myself from daring to think that the noise difference, even if it's there and in favour of Canon's, isn't really THAT much appart...even though many of us have considered jumping to the other side on that reason alone....:tongue:

I’m reserving my RAW shooting to surf and for couple other more “serious” subjects since I’ve been loosing too much time processing….for vacations and occasional shooting, Jpegs from D200 will do just fine. When in doubt, I’ll shoot RAW+Jpeg Fine…..:wink:

2. Interesting test.

I noticed that you also varied the shutter speed at times, was that due to a camera selecting a different shutter speed?

3. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    The shutter speed changes (very small ones) were probably due to the fact i was shooting in Aperture Priority.

4. That's what I thought! Thanks for clearing that up.

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I updated the Jpeg Test gallery. I did a new set of similar shots, including ISO 800, which btw, i think it's brilliant on the D200 and never hesitate to use it.