D200 High ISO NR

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by FullFrame, May 28, 2007.

1. Anyone use the High ISO Noise Reduction on the D200? I shoot exclusively in RAW (don't know if that matters) and I'm trying to cut down on excessive noise when I shoot at ISO over 800 or so. I found this setting in the camera and am worried about how it may overly soften my images. Thoughts?

2. Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I think you'd be happier using a noise reduction plug-in or standalone program to address your high ISO issues.

I've really enjoyed using Noiseware Pro. NoiseNinja is another popular program.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    In the new Nikon Capture NX the noise reduction is actually pretty good to, and I now use it about 50% of the time and noise ninja the other 50% So I would give that a whirl if you have that program.

Also, I keep noise reduction set to normal since I shoot raw, and can change it in NX.

4. I downloaded all the more popular noise control programs. Noise Ninja, Noiseware, Neat Image, etc. For me, I liked the pro version of noiseware. It provided the most pleasing noise reduction and maintains sharpness. I would suggest downloading the trial versions of the above mentioned programs and judge for yourself. I have found the in-camera noise reduction of my D2h and D2x to be of very minimal use.
  5. I already have Noise Ninja, plus I use the Noise Ninja that's bundled with Bibble Pro. I asked the question because it ties in with my philosophy of getting it as right as possible in camera.

Based upon the responses thus far should I assume that the NR built in to the D200 is underwhelming?
  6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Well, it isn't as good when shooting JPG but when you shoot raw, the converter in NX applies and then you can tweak the noise reduction.

So, I guess your statement is probably correct. Maybe not underwhelming, but just OK in JPG mode. still lots better than my D70 and any D2x or D2Xs, better than teh D2H, about equal to the D50, and based upon reports but not personal use not as good as the D2Hs or the newer D40 or 80 cameras.