D200 HotRod

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Crayaco, Mar 22, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Cool read...thanks for the post.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer Guest

Thats a great article...almost makes me want to pull out my AA filter!!

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Very interesting - thank you.

4. Thanks for the link, Ray-very interesting.

The D70 has a somewhat weaker AA filter than the D200. Many of you will remember that moire concerns burned up almost as much bandwidth when the D70 was introduced as banding worries did when the D200 came out (I own both cameras and haven't been troubled with either moire or banding except in very unusual, limited cases). I think if Nikon had asked my advice on how strong to make the AA filter on the D200, I'd have said to make it just like the one on the D70. Nevertheless, I've been very pleased with the amount of detail that the D200 can achieve.

5. Your Welcome goes out to all. They will modify your
    D200 for $450.

Who will be the first to try it?

6. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    An expensive mod, to be sure, but it's really tempting! If I were more into the landscape thing I might jump on it.

What, if any, effect would this modification have upon high ISO performance, do you suppose?

7. Holmes,

I emailed them about any test data on ISO performance. I was curious too.

8. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The problem is that without an AA filter edge contrast may be improve, but the real resolution will be degraded by aliasing. Moire is only one of the manifestations of this aliasing. It sounds like they are trying to make a quick buck off of those who don't understand digital sampling of band limited signals. One solution would be an improved AA filter with sharper cutoff and less degradation (blur) below the Nyquist frequency. However, this requires invention, or a change in the laws of physics. :) The traditional alternative is the continued increase in the Nyquist frequency, by adding more megapixels. Camera manufacturers like this approach because it makes them more money. :)

9. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i've heard about hotrodding when i was looking to conver to IR... both are pretty neat i think...

10. I emailed them with a question:

Was wondering what the D200HR modification would do to ISO
    performance? Do you have any test data on ISO?

Thanks.

Here is the response:

Because the HR ICF is thicker than a stock camera, you lose about 1
    stop.

Regards,

Dan Llewellyn
    President
    LDP LLC
    http://www.MaxMax.com
    220 Broad Street
    Carlstadt, NJ 07072
    USA