D200...I'm starting to love it (football pix)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by dboogie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. dboogie

dboogie

Aug 28, 2008
    usa
    Its been about 3 months since I made the huge leap from my 5 year old original Canon Digital Rebel to the Nikon
    D200. The honeymoon is going well:biggrin: I've gotten familiar with the camera but there are still things I'm still in the dark about...namely understanding how to use the external flash (SB600).

The purchase of my new Nikon gear coincided with my oldest boy playing organized football for the first time. Soooo, practically 100% of what I've been shooting is him and his teammates during their practices and scrimmages. Equipment use for these shots are D200 with the 18-200VR or 85 f1.8.
    All comments/critiques welcomed:

1. My son running the ball during a practice
    [​IMG]

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

5. Pix 5-8 are a sequence of shots during a tackling drill
    original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

10. My youngest...he plays soccer now but he'll be footballin' it next year!!:smile:
    original.jpg

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Love 'em! 7&8 are escpecially cute, have your coach teach hime the 5 point of pressure :biggrin:

Using a SB600 is a little hard, and I wouldn't use during daytime because of limited effectiveness at the distances you'll be. I have a post on a rig I built (from Alex and Frank's recommendations) to light up things at night. You can see pics of the rig in there

3. Your last shot is a true gem! Print it and put it on the wall.

4. You have a winning combo here

plus the amount of light available outside gives you a great advantage (compared with dungeon-like gymnasiums I have been shooting in).

How do you like the 85mm 1.8 for sports use? (Obviously it works well)

5. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    Superb work. Love what you did in #2.

6. vapo

vapo

Sep 14, 2008
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    Very nice photos, very nice colours.

7. dboogie

dboogie

Aug 28, 2008
    usa
    Thanks for the comments on the pix and I'll go see if I can see the rig you're talking about. thanks for tip!!

8. dboogie

dboogie

Aug 28, 2008
    usa
    Thanks everyone for the taking the time to comment..I really appreciate the feedback.

Joe. The 85 f1.8 works really well.....if you can get close enough to the action. Fortunatley during the kids practices, I'm allowed to get on the field and take shots. I'm always mindful that I don't interfere or get in the way of anything the coaches are having them do.