D200 in my hands!!!!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by virtuamike, Dec 3, 2005.

1. But I didn't get to take it home :frown: They had a demo unit at K&S, got to play around with it today.

Compared to the D70, the viewfinder is huge. A 50/1.8 on the D200 was about as bright as a 60/2.8 on the D2x so good enough. Definately very easy to see through and a welcome change. The AF points will take some getting used to - the corner points feel awkward. The DOF preview is crisper than the D70 so very useful.

It's nice to see controls moved out of the menus. Regarding general feel, it's solid though bigger than the D70. Doesn't feel all that much heavier. The shutter is smooth and feels very D2-like. The 5fps is pretty quick and I liked the buffer size. I didn't play around with the AF groupings but the AF speed was very snappy and quiet on the 50/1.8. Not much hunting either.

Overall I came away impressed. This will be a very merry xmas.

2. Pretty exciting wasn't it, Mike. I was there yesterday and had the same "wowing" experience. Maybe you saw my pics of the D200.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57636

Today I went back to see the 18-200 VR. All these shots were done with that lens on the D70, under the existing ambient light.
    ISO200, f/3.5, 18 mm, 1/20 sec.

ISO200, f/5.6, 200mm, 1/13 sec

ISO 200, f/3.5, 18mm, 1/25 sec.

Did you get to try the lens too?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    why would any camera hunt on a 50 MM :>))

Just waiting till you guys get out and really use it.

Virginia like what I am seeing with that lens :>))

4. Thanks Virginia for the pictures. This is what I am looking for and it's promising. Now I can't wait to try it myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. 10 more days till xmas! LOL!!! 46218736.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Keith,
    You crack me up..
    You really think you'll have one in ten days.

Hope you will share with me....

I gotta wait at least a year and hope I can sell the gear I have.

7. Of course I will SHARE :biggrin: Im thinking I will have one by Monday the 19th at latest. Only way I could guarantee it was pay in full up front from a reputable Nikon dealer here...............many made deposits but only 3 of us pd in full...............actually kind of excited, what can I say its xmas. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

I don't blame you for being excited. The D200 looks like it's going to be a fine camera. Between you and U-F, you guys have enough nervous energy waiting for this beauty to power up NY City for an hour or two. :rolleyes:

9. I think it is just disgusting that people are so anxious to get their hands on one of these. I am most certainly glad that I am not one of them. I expect to stop by my camera store on my way home from the airport on the 15th to pick mine up so I can use it with my new Jobu Black Widow that should also be waiting for me when I return. But I'm not anxious, nope, not at all, no way no how and I sure don't have any energy to waste on this. Then again I hate to think of the horror, the depression, if my store doesn't get at least 50 on the 15th... Oh, dangit Frank, now you've made me worried, and depressed again........:tongue:

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nope, I'm not stressing either. I just go whack that penguin around somemore. Seems to help pass the time a little bit. The rest of the time, I'm thinking what I'm going to shoot first.....

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi keith-

to be honest, i'm hoping it's delayed.

i'll be on vacation on the 16th, even if i did next day air my flight will be gone before it arrives. so i'm hoping i won't get mine until i come back, otherwise my vacation will be ruined by my obsessing about a camera that's in a box in my house :frown:

then again, i guess i could always have it mailed to the hotel...

ricky

12. I know that feeling... I'm going to visit family on the 17th, though I've got 2 preorders- one at adorama and one at the local pro shop. I'd prefer local, but worst-case, if I Adorama calls first i'll have them overnight it to my family in cincinatti :)

13. Frank ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After what Ive gone through the last couple of months, its just what the doctor ordered! Is this a GREAT country or what.... If I really like it, my D2x will be gone........then I can buy another D200 for back up. Get tired of changing lenses :biggrin: plus I need to share with Gale :wink: only fair!

14. Now that is a dilema!!! Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Not sure what I would do. Pray for snow in and delayed flight?? :wink:

15. Keith...
    Who are you buying your through?

16. Howdy stranger, Don's photo, believe there is one in Saskatchewan :smile:

17. Yes Don's is based out of Winnipeg with branches in SK and AB.
    I'm assuming you must be dealing with the Calgary store???

I know yesterday when I spoke to the General Manager out of Winnipeg he told me they were still waiting to here from Nikon what their allocation was going to be. They ordered around 100 of the D200 and now it will simply be how many will they get...

Good Luck.... but remember you will not get yours before me... As I'm closer to head office and I wine more than you....lol

So you see… it will not matter in this case that you have more $$ than meeeeeee…..:biggrin: :biggrin:

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    oh boy oh boy o boy,

I get to play with Keiths D200 wheeeeeeeee

lol

Cyber share :>))

He lives in the north pole.

19. Dear Mr. Barber :Mysteriou you forgot about the power of a banker, its not about whinning, its about making the banker happy!! LMAO :biggrin: :biggrin:

You assumed wrong, Edmonton where the GM is out of. If the banker thing didnt work, will try your whinning to see if it helps. LOL!!!!!!

20. Gale you crack me up, hey Im willing to share sweetie!!!! Now I just need a sled like Santa's so I can travel fast, shoot for a weekend with you and back before the wife knows I have left the province. Its do-able isnt it!!! :rolleyes: