D200 ISO 3200 Volleyball

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by J.Alan, Aug 29, 2008.

1. With all the hype of newer, better cameras on the market, I wondered how my trust D200 would do at volleyball in our daughter's school. This place has the absolute worst lighting I've tried to shoot in, and I pushed the camera to the max. However, I am pleased with the results.

C&C welcome

Here are a few ISO 3200 shots I wanted to share.

In camera NR set to Off. Post Processed with Neat Image at default settings, color corrected in PS CS3:

105mm Ai-S, manual focus lens @ 1/250 f/2.5
    [​IMG]

125mm 70-200 f/2.8 VR @1/200 f/2.8
    It had to hurt!
    [​IMG]

70mm 70-200 f/2.8 VR @1/200 f/2.8
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Joe, #1 and #3 are pretty darned good all things being considered. Sure, it would have been nice to have the court strobed, but that isn't always possible for one reason or another. These images did exactly what they were intended to do......capture memories. While not technically perfect or ideal, these images captured the moment and will hold memories for a lifetime. I like these results alot, you made the most out of this shooting opportunity.

3. Thanks for commenting, Frank.

It is so dark in there, I had no hopes of getting anything. Strobes would be great, but I'm sure it would be an uphill battle to use them.

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I think these are pretty good..and at 3200 to boot! I don't see any noise...that's amazing!

5. wendy

wendy

Jul 5, 2008
    PA
    Your work makes me want to try volleyball. Great job. Thanks for sharing.

6. Jeff, I was mostly

trying to see what the D200 could do at 3200, and was please to see the originals were in good sharp noise-wise. A bit of post-processing helped almost eliminate the remainder. It would have been nice to get a bit more shutter speed, though.

Thanks for commenting.

7. Wendy, I hope you do try

volleyball. This was my first attempt and I found it quite challenging. It is a lot different from my standard ice skating subject.

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    joe, it may not be an uphills battle. I started using my SB800s for my son's basketball (cave, with painted black ceilings). I set them up on the stands and trigger with pocketwizards. I've had people come up and ask me 'Why don't you use flash?' the vast majority of people will not even notice if placed correctly.

9. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    That is what I did all last year and it worked out great! This year I am moving up to B1600's because some of the gyms I shoot have extremely high ceilings.

I have heard that using strobes for volleyball is not allowed?

10. Manual focus! Yikes I would not want to be shooting sports with a MF lens.

11. great job Joe w/ your setup....

12. Looks very good Joe, I can say the D300 ISO 6400 looks like the D200 3200. Just to get your NAS going a little.

13. Joe, my daughters used to play in that gym (they played for Covenant Christian Academy). It is dark, so you did well. Did you shoot in RAW?

Cindy

14. Mathew and Tim,

I usually shoot ice skating, and use of flash is definately not allowed. I assumed the same would apply here. I will ask to see if I could use flash, as it would help get me a bit higher shutter speed, and low ISO/noise.

Thanks.

15. I usually use my

70-200 for sports/action. But I wanted to try out my newly aquired 105 manual focus lens (since it was attached to the camera, and I had to swap it for the 70-200), mostly to see if I could get any decent shots. It worked OK for the subject shown, I think, but is not my preference in general.

16. Chris, Geoff, Cindy, thanks for

commenting.

My NAS has been flairing, but I am going to wait at least another generation of equipment before moving up.

I shot all these in jpg. I don't have a really good RAW workflow (poor excuse?).

17. Nice shots in what must have been difficult conditions.

I'm thinking I might like the shots better with more details i.e. less agressive noise reduction.

Would you have an example to post without any noise reduction, just for the curious ones? :wink:

18. I agree, the noise reduction is real strong in these images making them too smooth looking.

19. Jani, the Originals

Thank you for the feedback. I had the in-camera noise reduction turned off, thinking that I would post-process using Neat Image to see if I could get better quality in the end.

Please feel free to suggest alternate post-processing. I would prefer to be able to batch process using whatever method, though.

Web-sized images already in original post
    Original:( click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Original using Neat image: (click for larger image)
    361182524_BmsAq-L.

Original (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Original using Neat Image (click for larger image)
    361184165_3uMDh-L.

Original (click for larger image)
    [​IMG]

Original using Neat Image (click for larger image)
    361184608_aNW45-L.

20. Thanks for the feedback, Phil

FYI, I have posted the originals in my response to Jani, above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.