D200- It's Coming!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AFS, Jul 22, 2005.

1. No

100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ladies and gentlemen, I have good news.
    On July 14, 2005, and appearing today on their website, The United States Patent and Trademark office processed a filing by Nikon Corporation Japan, with the same address and attorney of record as previous filings, for the trademark D200!
    http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=a17be9.2.1
    Don't worry that it hasnt been published for opposition or fully registered.
    The Nikon D100 was filed 3/02, published for opposition in 2/03, and registered in.....2004!
    That's right, the D100 wasn't even registered until the D70 was out.
    The D70 isn't even registered yet..... published for opposition...but not registered. It's already been REPLACED with the D70S. It was filed a few months before they announced it as a press release. I don't think we'll have to wait as long with this though. They probably wanted to keep their hand close to their chest. They seem to historically wait a very short time. In fact, the D1X and D1H were filed for a month AFTER their announcement...The D1 was filed for MONTHS after the announcement. The D100 was filed for about 2-3 weeks after DPReview has the announcement listed.
    More recently it seems to be the style of Nikon to announce their cameras about, say 2-4 months after the filing, but I think we'll have a good chance of something at Photokina or failing that, around thanksgiving or the holidays.
    So grab your wallet and empty your savings account!
    I was one of the posters on the DPReview thread in which the new app was uncovered a few hours after I went to bed last night

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Harrison, one can get hives, eye twitches and start pulling out clumps of hair by trying to follow Nikon's release logic.

3. But at least now there's no denying they intend to release it.
    I've been waiting for this for a long time....
    I'm ebaying my soul, kidney, frontal lobe of my brain, half my liver, three toes, and my whole family for this!

4. How about 4 slightly used wisdom teeth? :twisted:;-):lol:

Even if the D200 was announced in the fall, I wouldn't expect to be able to get your hands on one, until some time next year. This is why I chose to go with a used D2H this past spring... Yes, it does not have 8-10+ megapixels, but the rest is a dream, unless you shoot a lot at ISO 1600.

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I bought the D2X a couple of months ago, so I doubt that I would be in the market for a "D200". Nikon certainly have a gap to fill, so I have no doubt that it will sell if and when they release it.

6. Not to fuel the rumor fire but I asked a local camera store if they knew anything about the D200. I was told it would be out Nov 16th. I thought he was kidding so I pressed on but he was adamant. Didn't know any of the specifications though. So, we'll see.

I would certainly consider the D200 as a backup. I enjoy the D2X so much that I would also consider a D2H/s as well.

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I bought a refurbished D2H and have a D70 backup so I have no intention to buy a D200.

Realistically, I really really really hope the D200 has MLU and at least Multicam1300. I might be very sad if it has Multicam2000, pro body ergonomics, 8 MP, and sells for $2000. Haha. :)

8. Maybe the tooth fairy will leave me a D200 under my pillow....or a $400 B&H gift certificate :)
    OF course maybe I could demand even more since the bottom ones were drilled into several pieces due to the size and angle they were coming in at.
    I'm starting to doubt the tooth fairy, my mom stuck the packet under my pillow but they were still there :p Maybe they didn't get paid off because I was up till 3AM.
    And then there was that $1800 cash my mom took out of the bank in case they didn't take AMEX at the dr's......Insurance wanted to cover the teeth....if they were extracted one at a time. All 4! a whole surgery for each. why pay the xtra anesthesia etc. fees! some companies are beyond my comprehension :)

9. By the time this is released, I may be in the market for a new DSLR. But I'm still in love with the D2X, so I might get the equvilent of that when the time comes.

10. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi harrison-

where's the "MAYBE" option? i'm on the fence, waiting to see the specs. i would like more resolution than my d2h, but i want something better than cam1300 with a large buffer.

ricky

11. As long as it's a 20D killer I'm going to buy one to add to my arsenal.

12. IT has to be a 20D killer....
    Let's hope its a '30D' killer as well.....

13. Seriously, Nikon must know the 20D is making a dent into their user base. I know so many pro guys using one nowadays, as opposed to owning a 1Dmark2. The 20D is even canabalizing on Canon's own pro offerings!

Nikon needs to make the real digital F100. The pros that can afford the D2X will buy one, for everyone else the D200 will be the preferred camera of choice!

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    However, I sure doubt it.........will ever be reality

15. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    I've voted yes ! But of course it is going to depends on the features set.

I'm very hopeful: IMO Nikon has proved with the D70 and the D2X that it can deliver top features. And it can't be too expensive ... Thanks to Canon (and in particular the 20D).

Thierry

16. A "me too" post.

I really want a vertical grip like those built into the D2X and D2H etc.

I don't need one, you understand; I just like 'em and I want one.

If the D200 has one - or the capability to add one - I'll then consider the cost/value of any other perceived gains over the D70.

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nikon's release logic????? That fits in with the other oxymorons:

Army Intelligence

Jumbo Shrimp

Nikon's release logic....You hit that one right on the head Chris. Trying to find how Nikon plans their new releases may be even tougher than finding the Holy Grail!

19. Don't hold your breath kiddies.

I'd put 5:1 odds that delivery will be no sooner than Jan 06. Even odds for March 06.

JohnG

20. I'm pretty sure that since it replaces the D100, we'll have a grip option. They had to have excluded it from the D70 and refused to make one for it so vehemently for a reason.
    I realized the need for a maybe option about 3.5 seconds after I hit the submit button on the first post.....but by then it was probably too late :)