D200 Long Exp NR Question

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by gadgetguy11, Dec 17, 2005.

1. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Question: Does setting the Long Exposure NR on the D200 slow the 5fps shutter speed as it does on the 3fps D70 and D70s, (it slows them to 1fps):frown: or does it not affect the 5fps shutter speed as on the D2X? :Happy:

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It shouldn't. I always thought that the fact that happened on the D70 was some sort of firmware bug. Easy way to find out is to try it. :smile:

3. Yes it will

The long exp. NR is made by taking a second ''black frame'' shot at the same shutter speed. So if the Long. exp. NR is enabled, it takes 2 shots to get one. The processing engine will substract the black frame from the real shot in order to get rid of long. exp. noise from the CCD.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    But long-exp NR should only be applied to long exposures, in which case 5fps is irrelevent. There shouldn't be any slow-down when shooting at 1/100, for instance because there's no NR taking place. That's how the D2x seems to work, anyway.

5. You're in luck:
    The answer is a big fat No :biggrin:
    Tried it out on my D200 at various shutter speeds just now- it won't affect the 5fps rate until long after you can't keep it up due to the shutter speed.
    It wasn't doing anything even at 1/8 sec, at which point we're below 5fps.
    I think it must be a bug in the D70 too. It annoyed the heck out of me why I only seemed to get 2.2fps until I found out about that.
    Of course then 3fps wasn't enough, so I got a D200 for 5

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the answers! My D200 is in the hands of UPS Air and arrives Tuesday.:biggrin: This is one parameter I set differently in D2X and D70s. I'll set Long NR to ON on the D200. For anyone who reads this thread wondering why such a question, trust me, the D70s speed is adversely affected on ALL exposures, not just long, by Long Exp NR!

Great explanation, Benoit. That makes perfect sense. Jeff, my D2X is completely immune to this problem also; I think you are right about a firmware error in D70 / D70s. Thanks for trying this, Harrison. That ices it!:smile:

7. of course, long exposure NR on the D200 will only take effect for 8s or longer images according to the manual.
    Perhaps you should set it on for one shooting bank and not the rest?
    The reason I say this is it cuts the buffer in half!