D200 Lust from a D80 shooter

I can see London from the bathroom window
Good thread. And very useful, I'll keep a link to this one and check back for the updates.

I have a D200, and I knew it wouldn't be long before I was ready to get a 2nd dSLR for certain shoots. The time is like, now ish. Or very soon. But rather than stretch to the extra expense of a 2nd D200, I'm going to get a D80 for some other benefits, here are some reasons I'm getting a D80 instead of a 2nd D200 - love the D200 and it'll always be the first choice, but, on the D80:
- its a smaller and lighter camera than the D200 (which has a MB-D200 on it)
- I don't need a full on D200 as my 2nd body, it'll be used 50% as much as the D200 when shooting both together
- the functions and options on the D80 are very close to what I have on the D200
- if I want just the nearly D200 spec and my 18-70 ... then I'll grab the smaller/lighter/simpler D80
- yes the D200 is faster and faster to use, but the D80 is a very close 2nd

I very nearly went for 2x D80 instead of the one D200 ... so pleased with the D200, but I don't need two of them.

One thing that will bug you: a switch to CF cards (its bugging me, adding SDs)
One thing you will like: same battery!

I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in camera in terms of operation and results. I only shoot raw and I'm not expecting to notice the difference in the images. But sometimes a camera just a bit smaller than the D200 would be perfect. And for dual use, D200 as the main and D80 with another lens - great stuff.

This thread really got me thinking now. Almost pushed buy and a D200 on eBay earlier. Perhaps I won't...

Look at Edward there with all that nice glass... still happily shooting a D80. I got all the main glass I felt I needed prior to jumping from a D70 to a D200... if I had a D80 with that bigger viewfinder and screen, I suspect I would have just held out and waited for the D300 price to erode maybe a year or so from now.

Edward does look to me to be poised to be a prime candidate for something like a D300 perhaps down the line a bit. The machine-tool-like quality of the Dxxx-series and the ergonomics are a joy to use but glass is the big difference-maker IMO as Edward obviously knows.

I would really like to wait until they come out with a FX format camera at about 10mp with virtually no niose at any ISO with features comparable to my D80 all for $999. then I will replace my 10.5 fish with the 16mm fish and I will be a happy man :biggrin:

That D80 shutter may wear out by then... but you just never know for sure, the cost of producing a FF sensor will have to tumble a long way but, advancements do come sometimes quicker than we think.

I too am getting ready to sell the D80 and buy a (used) D200
I agree with the blown highlights
setting -1, -2 makes what isn't a highlight so dark, and creates noise or a strange look when trying to rescue the shadows
I prefer the meter on my D50 which cost 1/2 of my D80
there is a reason the D200 is always the top of its class in dslrs
while the D80 gets tepid reviews, and can't best the competition in every review I read...

Amen, Ed! Some folks just need to learn how to meter properly. Let's see I've owned a D70s, a D50, a D200 and a D80. I don't have any problems with the D80 blowing highlights.

I prefer certain aspects of the D50 yes
overall I like the controls of the D80
out of camera jpegs are not my criteria and noise levels at 1600 aren't that crucial either
I shoot RAW 99% of the time
If I want jpegs right out of camera, I'll take my D50
I can handle the highlights, because I know what to expect, the meter in the D200 is just better...
and the dedicated buttons make life easier as well

A while back I bought a D50 and loved the jpegs right out of the camera. But, wanting more bells and whistles, I traded for a new D70s. I never like the camera because it needed a custom curve for my taste, and I didn't want to fool with this or PP all my shots. So, got rid of it and got a D80. I'm happy with the D80, but really wish I could use my old manual Nikon lenses with full functionality. Thinking D300 would be nice. Wait a minute. I don't really need a heavier body. Don't need to spend the $1800 on a camera body. Need a new plasma TV. Hmm. This darn technology envy can be a problem. Guess when I hear those bells and whistles in my head, I'd better turn off the hearing aid! If Nikon would only make a D300 in a D90 size body--with all the bells and whistles intact! And, nice bright out of camera jpegs to boot.

My first DSLR is the D200 and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I waited a long time to switch to a DSLR. I wanted to wait for a FF sensor but it didn't seem like it was coming. Now that the D3 is coming, I wonder how long before they come out with a FF prosumer model at about half the price of a D3?

I can't speak to the D80, but the D200 is best as a RAW camera kept below ISO 250. If you needs fall into that range, it's a fantastic camera. I think the D80 is probably a better overall camera. And if metering is an issue, pick up a Sekonic meter for around $200 and learn to use it rather than dropping more money on a body. You'll learn a lot more about photography and light using a hand-held meter than the meter in the camera.

I do shoot RAW with the D80
for jpeg or lighter walk around I take the D50
I have heard the D200 noise is an issue, but above 250 ISO ?
I have used center-weighted and spot metering, and I find it better than the matrix on my D80, but both the D80 and D200 seem to assign greater value to the center focus point anyway
my friends D200 just seems to get the exposure "right" unless very unusual conditions, without any compensation
from examples I've seen the noise @800-1600 seem almost the same bwt the 2 bodies

well said mr Ed ... and the D80 being a newer camera than the D200: it should do some things better.

Its almost always the way when you move to a new dSLR, you learn how the meter thinks, then get on with it.

I'm not expectng to see any difference in out of camera jpgs from the D80 when I get it ... simply becuase I only shoot RAW. But I am expecting all three cameras to act slightly differently: D40/D80/D200 - they are all in my mind for slightly different shooting types, so I'll get to know each of them as well as the others.

This is an interesting thread.

My wife and I have an extended trip to Australia/Tasmania coming up in December, and I have been thinking about what to take. Right now the plan is D200, D40, 2 x 18-200VR, 12-24, and 35/2.

However, I am dreading hauling around the heavy D200, and have given some thought to selling my D70s and getting a D80. Thus thread is giving some impetus to those thoughts.

How does a D80 balance with the 18-200VR?

This is an interesting thread.

My wife and I have an extended trip to Australia/Tasmania coming up in December, and I have been thinking about what to take. Right now the plan is D200, D40, 2 x 18-200VR, 12-24, and 35/2.

However, I am dreading hauling around the heavy D200, and have given some thought to selling my D70s and getting a D80. Thus thread is giving some impetus to those thoughts.

How does a D80 balance with the 18-200VR?

The D80 / 18-200 set-up is very nice.
It is my "travel - Grab and Go" kit.
It is indeed lighter and easier to handle than my D200 17-55 / 70-200 set up.

I usually leave the 18-200 on the D80 95% of the time.
It balances very nicely with this set-up.

2x 18-200? Is that one each, or a spare? slim to just one?
dred/D200 in same line - shame on you, shame!!!!!

D80 is a bit lighter/smaller than the D200 ... in my mind its the perfect 2nd body or for lighter trips. Hence I'll be getting one real soon.

Sensible Q: have you considered selling also the D200 and getting two D80 to repalce the D70s/D200?

2x 18-200? Is that one each, or a spare? slim to just one?
One for each. It's the perfect walkaround/tourist lens...and we're not giving one up.

dred/D200 in same line - shame on you, shame!!!!!

:confused: What do you mean?

Sensible Q: have you considered selling also the D200 and getting two D80 to repalce the D70s/D200?

The thought has crossed my mind, but I really like the D200 and expect to use it as my main camera for a long time. I just don't like carrying it on long hikes!

B

bender73

the D200 makes you think and tweak...but provides easy access buttons to do so. it's a camera for PHOTOGRAPHERS.

the D40 and D80 are more designed for people that want "good" shots directly from the camera with more of a P&S mentality.

i'm no expert, but i love the fact that the D200 is making be better each time i shoot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom