D200 Newbie - Bracket Question(s)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by grt_napa, May 5, 2007.

1. I would like to make certain I acquire the proper brackets. My gear is listed below in my signature. When I purchased the 300 f/4, the seller included two quick-release plates for lenses that are compatible with the Bogen-Manfetto 486RC2 Ball Head. I will use the second for the 80-200 lens.

My shooting: Landscapes; Birds; Sunsets; People Candids. I like both horizontal and vertical shots.

THE QUESTION: What camera bracket should I get that is compatible with my Bogen-Manfretto 486RC2 Ball Head? Should I get the standard camera-plate or the L-bracket since I do like vertical shots.

I have tried to research online without success to determine whether my ball head is an Arca style quick release platform. I was alerted to this question when I visited Kirk web site, viewed their L-Brackets, and then read the Arca-Style requirement.

Any and all comments and suggestons will be greatly appeciated.

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  3. RandyB

RandyB Guest

You can replace the clamp on your bogen head with a Really Right Stuff clamp and then use their L bracket. I did this with my bogen head and love the L bracket

4. I use the RRS "L" brackets on my camera bodies, too, and they are terrific!
    It might be worth considering making the switch from the Bogen style QR to the more flexible Arca-Swiss style, which is supported by more manufacturers.