D200 on order - which storage media??

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bhodisatva, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Have ordered my D200 and require a little advice about storage media. I understand that the D200 will accept either a CF Card and/or a Microdrive, i'm at a loss as to decide between the two and would be grateful for any advice, ie pros and cons of each, your preference etc. Many thanks -

2. I always use CF cards in my cameras, have never wanted to take chances with a microdrive.

3. Microdrives were really only used when CF cards didn't have that much storage space. Now there are CF cards 8GB and probably more.

Go with CF.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Microdrives are less cost effective, slower, produce more heat, eat up more battery life, and are more prone to shock and vibration damage than CF.

With the prices and capacities for CF as they are, there is no good reason I can think of to even consider microdrive.

5. Hi,

I echo what everyone else has said, CF is the way to go. However, I would add, buy the largest capacity and fastest card that you can afford and stick with a name brand like Lexar or Sandisk. Shop around, both companies often offer rebates. Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Regards,

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Not everyone follows this philosophy (in terms of capacity). I use 4 x 4GB cards, and would rather keep it this way, instead of using 8 GB or 16 GB cards. You might want to consider how much you're willing to lose if a card goes bad.

7. which storage media ??

I totally agree with RaceBug's point. Also, why have moving parts when you don't need to ? !! If you are into sports/journalism etc you may want the fastest transfer, but Sandisk Extreme III 2 & 4gb give me everything I need. You will pay over the odds for the fastest transfer speeds.
    Good luck with the D200, it's a great camera.
    All the best

8. I completely agree - that's one of the reasons I didn't buy MicroDrives no matter how cheap they got. I don't like to admit it but I have dropped CF cards before and all my cards survived with flying colors, but MDs would die with almost 100% certainty if dropped.

9. I am another who doesn't believe in putting all of my (photographic) eggs in one basket. I much prefer having several smaller-sized cards to one big card, just in case.... I finally did buy a couple of 8 GB cards after I got the D2Xs due to that camera's file sizes, but I have continued using my 4 GB ones in my D200.

10. Many thanks for the info guys, 100% of respondents went for CF cards, somehow i don't think i'll be bucking the trend and opting for microdrives :D.

I'll probably only get the one CF card for now as i'm fortunate enough to be coming over your side of the pond late September for 2 weeks worth of holidaying (4 nights Vegas, 7 nights Hawaii, 3 nights LA) so i'll probably pick some more equipment up while i'm over there considering how cheap it is compared to the UK and also how strong the £ is against the $.

11. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I use 1 16GB Extreme III CF card in each D200 (x2) and D2X (x1). Plenty of capacity, and fast loading time.

12. pixelfun

pixelfun Guest

I can only speak for SanDisk CF's, it's the only brand of card I've purchased since 1992 when they came out with a whopping 16Megs (lol) for my CoolPix 950.

Back then I bought four of those sixteen meggers with a couple other denominations through the years, all of them still work to this day. However, they are too small for practical use on my D200. With the use of SanDisk CF's, I don't see a need for redundancy of flash cards to be considered "on the safe side", that's up to you to decide.

Pass on the micro drives, CF is the way to go. Don't put anything in your camera that the manufacturer does not recommend. Consult your service manual when in doubt. Enjoy!

13. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Well, kinda...

Nikon published a CF compatibility chart, but they don't keep it up to date. There are plenty of CF cards that work great with the D200, but aren't on the list, mostly because they are newer. I've been using Transcend cards, and they have worked every bit as well as by Lexar Pro cards, but at less cost. I get the 4 GB 120x Transcend cards from Newegg for about $40.