D200 or 30D for motorsports

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by C Reinhardt, Jun 17, 2007.

1. C Reinhardt

C Reinhardt

Nov 21, 2005
    Which of these cameras would have better -- speedier and accurate autofocus at a street course? I'm shooting the Grand Prix of Toronto in a couple of weeks. Anybody tried both and can offer comparison?
    Thx, Chris

2. D200 - Dynamic Group focus is awesome and a deeper continuous drive buffer will help more.

OR

Perhaps for around the same price, a used D2h will fit the bill better for sports?

3. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Well I can't say anything about the 30d, but unless it is much faster than the 20D the D200 would be speedier. It is suppose to be faster but I have not seen one in person.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I completed a program at the Center For Digital Imaging at Boston Univ. Of the 12 student in my 22 month program, most had the 20Ds. Those that had it even ran into trouble when shooting models. When they were trying to do that pop, pop, pop,..... the buffer would fill and they would have to wait.

The 20D had a RAW buffer of 6 shots, the 30D says 11 on DPR, the D200 says 22. I have not tried my hand at motor sports but I have shot high school and town sports and I know I would have hit the buffer on the 20D and 30D. I know because I hit it on the D200 every now and then.

And yes a good used D2H I'm sure would be even better.

4. Hi, Chris. I shoot for a local magazine, and was lucky enough to get credentials for the San Jose Grand Prix last year. It was a great opportunity to shoot in no-man's land, and watch the pros at work. I didn't sense any brand bias, and you really don't need particularly long lenses. This shot was taken at 180mm.

Here's a link to my gallery from last year's SJGP.

http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/sjgrandprix

5. C Reinhardt

C Reinhardt

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks Frank -- I will be inside the fence too - reach isn't the problem or question. I am not a machine gunner -- don't need a huge buffer and rarely floor the shutter for more than a shot to two or three at most. I am primarily concerned about autofocus speed in acquisition and accuracy. Thinking of moving from my D1H for something with higher MP rating and IQ. I Like the lighter weight, saturation possibilities and better battery power of 30D and high ISO capabilities for autoracing.
    -Chris

6. Fair enough, Chris. From inputs I've read, Multi-CAM 1000, used in the d200 and 800, may be a better performer than the AF module used in the 30D, but that isn't critical for circuit racing, where the action is predictable. I found even my non-AF-S lenses were fast enough for the job. Here's an action shot from the screw driven 85/1.4...

and another from the 180/2.8.

View attachment 101303

Oops, sorry, this the action shot I meant :redface:.

View attachment 101304

I'm sure you'll enjoy the 30D, or any of the current generation of dslrs for that matter. The d1h is a great camera, but there have been a lot of advances since it was introduced in early 2001.

7. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Sorry, when you said speedier I figured you meant shooting speed.

I know alot of people think machine gunning can be a waste, but I find things that otherwise would be missed. One of the things I shoot are kids in the back yard (with a camera only). And following them around you never know when they will turn just so. 3-4 shots here, 3-4 there and another 3-4 over there and I'd be out of luck with the 20D and maybe the 30D as well.

8. Between the D200 and 30D? Which ever one you fell fits your uses better.

Our track guys used the 30D last year and upgraded to the EOS 1D Mark II for the 8.5fps.

9. BTW got anymore of the brunette in the middle?:377::biggrin:

10. I just wish they would wave their winners flag

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is just what I was going to recommend. If you enjoy shooting motorsports, I really believe that you should seriously consider moving to the Mk IIn, this camera can handle your current needs and will capably handle low-light shooting should that ever become an issue.

12. C Reinhardt

C Reinhardt

Nov 21, 2005
    Frank;

I'd love a MkIIN!--it's the huge price differential that stops me. Honestly, I'd rather pick up a 30D and some glass like a 70-200 F4 or 2.8 -- at least I can retain some value in the glass and cut my losses on the body. It makes me sick having to get soaked on the depreciation with such an expensive pro body. Even the used ID mkII still sells for over $2K. Right now there are rebates on Canon gear here in Canada and I'm interested. Nevertheless, I may just sit tight and wait -- just use what I have shooting the Toronto race this year.