1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

d200 or d90 what would you get?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by coolshotimagery, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Both bodies are $999.99 on amazon. Can someone please shed some insight as to why you would choose one or the other?

2. Based on specs I would pick the D90, mainly because of the better high ISO handling. But build quality and handling is another thing and I've picked the D200 over the D80 when I upgraded my D70 2 years ago. Also the more professional feel of the D200 is more appealing to me.

Another option is the D300 as this clearly the better camera of both the D200 and D90 but that will cost you more.

3. screwdriver

screwdriver

Feb 29, 2008
    FLorida
    unless you need the weather sealing - go for the D90.

4. D90. Higher ISO performance, better image quality, and the features associated with HD video recording!

5. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I have to agree. I LOVE the 200, but it's long in the tooth now, and just can't compete with the D90 spec-wise. Unless you shoot under adverse conditions and need good weather sealing, get the 90. From what I understand, you can add the MB-D80 grip (is that right?) for easier vertical shooting a much better batter life.

The only other potential drawback, and this could be a big one is the memory card type. All Nikon's "pro" bodies (D300 and up) require a compact flash card, whereas all their other bodies use SD cards. If you have any desire to eventually get into the other bodies, that should be a strong consideration as by the time you buy several fast 4-8GB SD cards, you will be in the same financial range as a D300. Once you commit to SD cards or compact flash, you're sort of stuck. SD to CF adapters are very hard to come by, and most accounts I've heard indicate that speed suffers significantly when they are used...

6. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    The D90 feels cheap compared to the D200.

Base ISO (200) on the D90 is worse than base ISO (100) on the D200.

The D200 has better metering and focusing than the D90, plus a faster shutter.

Other than that, the D90 is superior in most ways, especially its screen and over-all usability. For example, if you also have or expect to soon have something like a D700, you may want to get the D90, as its menus and buttons, etc., are more similar.

It's a tough call!

7. 151proof

151proof

Jun 6, 2008
    SD
    D90 all the way... newer technology, better IQ on higher ISO's, 3in screen, HD video among other things.

8. D200 all the way. Better build. Negligible difference in image quality. Metering with manual lenses.

Just my opinion.

Ronnie

9. My D200 does almost as well with ISO as my D300. I prefer the build to the D200, so that would be my pick. It is a GREAT camera.

10. If size and weight are a concern, go with the 90. I'm about to "upgrade" from a D200 to a D90. The attractions are newer technology and primarily a smaller and lighter system.

But then most of my photography is travel and hiking related where size and weight are important.

11. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC

I have a D200 and love it, but I can't help recognizing the advancements in most areas between the 200 and 300 (and correspondingly, the D90). You just made a LOT of negative comments regarding a camera that has only been on the shelf for 3 or 4 days.

12. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL

The D90 is not a pro body like the D200. Its that simple. But its technology on the inside is on par with the D300. To me, the D90(which I own) is just a compact little D300. Yes it is a plastic body. Yes it is smaller. But at the end of the day, the body is not the deciding factor in the quality of images, we are as the photographer. If an image is a great image, who cares if it was shot with a pro body?

The D200 will have better performance at its base ISO over both the D90 and D300. It has a CCD sensor which will exibit less noise at lower ISO's than its CMOS competitor. The noise comparison stops there. A CMOS sensor performs at the higher ISOs.

I will not argue the statement that the D200 has better mettering and focusing. It does. It is a pro body. But what I find is metering and focus issues are usually more of a user error than the camera.

FPS...a wash if you ask me. The D90 is 4.5fps and the D200 5fps. As far as I am concerned, .5fps is negligable.

There is no doubt or question from me that the D90 is a consumer body and the D200 is a pro body. But as others have mentioned, there is quite a bit more updated technology hiding in the D90 body.

Just my $.02.

Morgan

13. What do you shoot?

If you want to use old AI or AI-S lenses, the D200 meters with them, the D90 doesn't.

If you use a lot of screw-drive lenses and need faster focusing, the D200 might have a faster screw-drive than the D90 (bigger body, bigger motor).

If you shoot a lot of low light, the D90's high ISO will beat the D200.

If you shoot a lot of daylight landscape, the D200's base ISO might beat the D90.

If you need a really tough camera that can stand a bit of moisture (but not immersion), a D200 is better built.

If you want a smaller, lighter camera, the D90 fits that bill better than a D200.

If you have a bunch of good Compact Flash cards you want to re-use, the D200 uses them, the D90 does not.

It really does depend on what you need, and not necessarily what we think.

14. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i don't consider it an upgrade over the 200. it's just another fine camera like the d40. if it works for u, great:smile:

15. That's why I put "upgrade" in quotes. :wink:

16. And, conversely, folks have been making a lot of positive claims for a camera that's only been on the shelf for 3 or 4 days.

The chief advantages of cmos sensors are in manufacturability. I'm not awary of any technical advantages of cmos over ccd when it comes to signal to noise ratio, which is the key metric for high iso performance. I'm guessing the gains in high iso performance of the newer camera models is the result of software, not hardware, but I could be wrong. If you have any data that suggests otherwise, I'd love to review it.

17. I believe that I read somewhere that CMOS uses less voltage, therefore, it develops less heat, which is a leading cause of noise. Can someone back me up on this? Greetings, Bob

18. sambru

sambru In Memoriam 1957-2014

D200 it still is a great camera in all respects.

19. Hash

Hash

Aug 11, 2008
    Asia
    I believe this comparison is very hard to decide without
    1. the related budget
    2. the advantages of each camera for which the shooter looks.

With same price, it rather question of tastes, needs, and personal preferences.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.